Author Topic: Childrens home in Dundee  (Read 20975 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Childrens home in Dundee
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 11 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi rowanali

If you use the link below it will give you an indication what the countryside around Clement park looked like. You have to give the historical map time to load and you have to keep zooming in until it is large enough to give you street level.

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

Yours aye
Brucel

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 10:57 BST (UK) »
Bruce - that is got to be one of the most magical tools ever! - fantastic way of finding out where people lived and what it all looked like - especially for towns you aren't familiar with!!  Thanks you so much - what an amazing find!
ali

Offline mandil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
The Herman Hall was in Tay Street on the corner of Artillery Lane just round from the West port

Offline Kay Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather was Hall Keeper at Hermon Hall and laterly my uncle did the same job. The church existed from 1914 until 2007. Maggie Wallace is a name I remember being mentioned in my family and she was highly respected by the Christians meeting at Hermon. If you want to know more please post a message and I'll ask around. Possible most folk who knew her have died but my uncle probably knows a bit.
Jim 

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Jim/Kay
Thanks so much for your exciting news that your Uncle may remember my Auntie Mar - Maggie Wallace!  I would love to know anything at all that he can remember about Hermon Hall - what groups they ran, what they did, did they run a music group?, was there a ladies group?  Were there any records or photos kept?

Attaching a photo of a group of Dundee Ladies that may be connected with Hermon Hall..
Front row on right sitting on chair is Maggie Wallace (with glasses).  Next to her is a lady that appears in many of our family photos as well as the lady with white hair directly behind her.  One or other of them could have been an Annie Brown or Anderson.  2 of Maggies sisters are in the photo - 3rd from left in back row is Annie Wallace, and infront of her is Jessie Wallace (my grandmother).  Don't know about woman infront of her but to either side of her on the front seated row is Jessie's sister-in-law (Kathleen Hancock) and in the middle of front is Florence Hancock.  This photo may have been to say goodbye to them as they were immigrating to USA.  Photo likely taken in about 1930.

Keen to know also if the 'Tiny Tot Orchestra' was anything to do with Hermon Hall - have photos of them too!  But much later than this photo.

Offline Kay Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
My Aunt has the middle name Wallace and we think it is after Maggie Wallace. She was a friend of my Grandmother. My Grandmother died in 1927 so is this possible? Apparently Maggie lived at the top of Arkley Street Dundee.
The photos do not seem to be related to Hermon or any of the folk there..
Hermon was engaged in many forms of Christian outreach including Children's work and open air mission. It was very Evangelical in it's outreach to the community. At it's height probably had about 300 members with a very strong contact between families . it is possible that Maggie would move between Salvation Army and Hermon - perhaps Hermon in the morning and SA in the evening - but no-one around who knew her personally now.
Hope this is of some help

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to Kay Mitchell (Jim) for the fascinating thought that my great aunt Maggie Wallace's name lived on in her friends child.  Maggie never married so her name never was passed on so this is a lovely thought for me. 

Thanks to everyone for their help with trying to track down the childrens home photo that this post started off with - it turns out it is Balgay School for girls (Approved school) so my mystery is now solved.

rowanali

Offline Rosi Esplin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:35 GMT (UK) »
very interesting information. I think that where i was born. does anyone know if any records exist for this home ???

Offline Joyous62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Rosi, hi. If you are talking about Clement Park, I will be watching with intererest. I am 53 and only just recently got a copy of my original bc, it shows my birth place as Clement park. Other than the mothers name and place of birth, I have no other info.