Author Topic: 'the sands'  (Read 6438 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'the sands'
« on: Monday 15 August 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
my grandmothers family come from the village of Abdon close to Clee St Margaret, the 1851 show them living at 'the sands' anyone know where this is, at the time Thomas Edwards was a farm labourer and in the 1861 census the family were living at cockshut ford which we have found but not 'the sands'

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: 'the sands'
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi jibhauler & welcome to RootsChat

Can you give us the 1851 census reference (Piece/Folio/Page) or more information about the family?  Then we can look at the census image ourselves and possibly help   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
the folio ref is H0107/1982/F517 the family are the Edwards, father Thomas mother Mary, eldest son John, then Thomas, Martha & William, the mother and father were buried at St Margarets church in Abdon again close to Clee St Margaret.

does this help ? help ?

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
There's a Knowlesands on the southern outskirts of Bridgenorth......a possibility?

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 August 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
I think 'The Sands' might have been misinterpreted by the transcriber.  

Looking at the original image, the area is the Hill Side in the Parish of Clee St Margaret  - at the bottom of the page

At the top of the previous image, one property is referred to as The Sands, but there is nothing to indicate that this refers to any other property.  Other images have repeated names where appropriate.

Unfortunately, this is not definitive! Enumerators had their own funny little ways and transcribers often make some very odd assumptions   :o ::)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 August 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
The Sands is at The Yeld, Clee St Margaret, on the side of the Clee Hill.  It once belonged to a relative of mine and I have a bundle of deeds relating to it.  On 11 December 1855 a Mr William Mantle sold it to yor relative Mr William Edwards of Stoke St Millborough for £150.  Mr Edwards, who was a higgler (an itinerant dealer) sold it to a Mr John Corfield on 18 April 1867.

Hope this is helpful.

Celia16.

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 11 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information I have now found a picture of 'The Sands' or a property supposedly called the Sands on Liberty Common, is this the property that you refer to Celia16.

Also now aware that the Edwards family or part of them are buried in St Margarets church yard but not sure which church as there is Abdon and Clee St Margaret, is there anyway I can access monumental inscriptions for each church to confirm which church it would be names are Thomas / Mary and son Richard.

Many thanks

Jibhauler 

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
If you go to old-maps.co.uk - put in The Yeld, wait for everything to load and then go the the 1891 map on the righthand side.

Once that loads look at where it says Clee St. Margaret on the map, below that there are some numbers - 1583 492, and below that is a fairly straight, horizontal field boundary. Click on enhanced zoom, and look at the left end of the straight field boundary, keep zooming in on it and you will see The Sands marked on the map.

There seem to be several quarries and a sand pit in the area so presumably that's where the name came from.

Edit: Also just found it on the 1884-1885 map by looking for that same straight field boundary.
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline celia16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

The photo you sent is of The Sands, which I last visited about 12 years ago, when it was uninhabited.  It's since been renovated and was on the market last year.  The estate agent's details say it's believed to have been built for a quarryman, who would have worked locally extracting dhu stone found in the Clee Hills.

Sorry I can't help about the graves.

Best wishes, Celia16.