Author Topic: Elephant and Castle, Halton  (Read 5472 times)

Offline heletune

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elephant and Castle, Halton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 December 11 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Julie,

Although you probably won't find these in the online catalogue: the alehouse recognizances which run up to 1828 list James Finch as the licensee of the E&C from 1790 after which it is John Prescot in 1828. There is a chance that the White Hart was a different alehouse/beer house opened by either himself his son or it could be that his son has applied for a licence at the same establishment and renamed it before moving on soon after. Unfortunately it is not really possible to tie these records to a specific building so an element of doubt must always be considered. Either way the information in Pigots for any given year is probably somewhat out-of-date.

Due to a change in the licensing laws after this period it can be difficult to trace individual licensees, particularly those of beerhouses of which tens of thousands opened across the country. Until the introduction of modern licensing laws at the turn of the 20th century this restricts the researcher to trade directories and census records as the primary source of data.

Halton/Runcorn was well connected by canal/packet from the 18th Century onwards and the LNWR Railway link to Liverpool was completed in 1869. This leaves plenty of avenues open for your ancestors to have left the area.

cheers for now
Chris
Fielding - Lancs
Mutch - Lancs
Calvert - Lincs
Fitzsimmons - Down
Cummins - Down
McMullen - Down
Cowley - Leinster
Meyrick - Salop

Offline Julesnwarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 January 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie and Chris
I've read all of the e mails about the Elephant and Castle with real interest.  I live in the house on Castle Rd in Halton that used to be the Elephant and Castle ale house to which your e mails refer.  I am trying to find the history of the house and have traced back the details of the previous tenants to William Dierden (Dearden) back in 1841 so it was of great interest that you have details relating to these premises prior to this date.  There are no deeds with the house and we think part of the house dates back to the early 1700s especially the cellar which has dips in the steps where apparently the beer barrels were rolled for storage.  However I don't think all of the premises date back that far.  Any other info you discover would be very helpful to me.  I am heading to Chester to look at the archives in a couple of weeks. If I find any further info I'll let you know
Jules

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 January 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »
 Just to digress a little---- the name "Elephant and castle" has nothing to do with elephants and castles. It is a corruption of " The Infanta of Castile", probably Eleanor of Castile ,wife of Edward I.

The origin of pub names and their  original meanings is very interesting----- well for those of us who need to get a life!!
                                Viktoria.

Offline Poppyjoey

• RootsChat Senior
  • GG Grandmother Louisa Laville
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 12 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Viktoria, thanks for explaining the origins of the name. It does seem quite a corruption doesn't it? It's amazing how phrases change over time.

Jules,

Really good to hear that you actually live in the premises. I have a copy of the receipt for gin and ale sold to Sir Richard Brook in 1816  -  if you PM me your email address I'll send it, tho' it's pretty faint. The John Prescott who is mentioned below, who took over the pub from James Finch, is an executor of James Finch's will, and was previously a butcher. You're more than welcome to a copy of this will too, but unfortunately it is very boring and doesn't mention the pub or anything about the pub.

If you do find anything about James Finch's time there from 1790 - 1828 I'd love to see it if that's OK.

Bye for now
Julie
Abercrombie & Bartlet -  Berkshire
Collinge - Lancs
Finch - Cheshire
Orwin - Derbyshire
Simpson - Shropshire
Morgans - Montgomeryshire
McCartney - Ayrshire
Pursell - Argyll
Ramsay - Argyll
Thomson - Argyll
Hutchinson - Cheshire
Laville - Warwickshire
Rea - Warwickshire
Drake - Kirkheaton
Brook - Kirkheaton
Humpleby - Kirkheaton

Offline Julesnwarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 January 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi it would be great to have a copy of anything that relates to our house. please e mail to *     thanks Julie  I'll send you anything of relevance that I dig up
regards

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline heletune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Jules, what a small world it is that you actually live in the house. I grew up in the village and that house has always been a bit of a local landmark. Did you by any chance notice if the footings in the cellar are sandstone block or the same brick as the building above ground? The extent of the cellar should give you a decent idea of the original footprint of the building. The 1845 tithe map of Halton presents a fine level of detail in terms of building features and the porch area was not present at that time, this appeared sometime before 1881 and  possibly as early as 1875 judging by the large scale OS maps of that period plus the roof and frontage features are typical 19th century Tudor revival.

The first recognizance records for the Elephant and Castle are dated 1753 to Thomas Chadwick although this is no guarantee that the record is tied to a particular building. The Elephant and Castle name disappeared in 1928 but at that time the pub was located on Main Street near the Village Hall and Halton House. There was also a Prospect Inn, Village Inn and a Red Lion among various other unnamed beerhouses over the years. I believe that the Red Lion was the large, white house with the ornamental Lintels (of Lions) 3 doors away from Dickie Dones old shop, but I digress.

Jule, well done on getting hold of the receipt and interesting to hear about John Prescott. There was a village butchers shop in one of the cottages at the bottom of Castle Road. The oldest of those cottages dates back to around 1710.

all the best and happy hunting,
Chris
Fielding - Lancs
Mutch - Lancs
Calvert - Lincs
Fitzsimmons - Down
Cummins - Down
McMullen - Down
Cowley - Leinster
Meyrick - Salop

Offline Julesnwarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 January 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris
we love the house.  The cellar is built into the local bedrock and isn't as extensive as the footprint of the house above it.  We assumed that an older building had stood on the site in the 1700s but had been replaced in the early 1800s.  We hope we can find more details when we visit the archives in Chester.  If you have any further info or know where we can get hold of anything more please let me know.  In which part of Halton do you live, you have very extensive knowledge of the area
kindest regards
Julie

Offline MSP27

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 March 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to resurrect and old post but we now live in this premises and I have just found this thread. Fascinating reading. There is what appears to be a painting in the house which depicts the Elephant and Castle which you may find interesting. No idea of artist or age but it is painted on to small wooden  boards.
https://ibb.co/kXFBV7
https://ibb.co/h9FdA7
https://ibb.co/dsObxn