Author Topic: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton Completed with thanks  (Read 15609 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton Completed with thanks
« on: Monday 15 August 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd be very grateful for any help locating the following:

My ggg grandfather, John Hirst, was baptised on 30/Oct 1796 at Kirkburton.  He was the illegitimate son of Ellen (or Ellin) Hirst and Jonathan Jagger of Hepshaw was the reputed father.

I have located Ellin's baptism, but despite great efforts, I cannot find anything further about Jonathan. (The parish register records on Ancestry are pretty awful, with faded/illegible parts and some years are missing big chunks.)  I think that Jonathan also had a brother Matthew bap abt 1773 Kirkburton, but I cannot find this baptism either. I would also love to know what happened to Ellin. Did she ever marry?

Please, is there anyone who could shed some light on this?  I'd be so pleased and so grateful to hear from you,

Thanks,

Chris

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
I have ancestors in this area but Hepshaw didn't ring a bell, so I googled it.

It's actually about 10 miles south of Kirkburton, nearer Barnsley. So what makes you think Jonathan was born/baptised in Kirkburton?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Thanks for your reply.

If you look at the Kirkburton Parish Registers, sometimes it describes someone as being from Hepshaw in Hepworth or Hepshaw, Hepworth. I've tried finding out exactly where it was, in or near Hepworth, but I cannot find a suitable map, but I'm reasonably sure it was in or near Hepworth. Jonathan Jagger was described as being from Hepshaw.

Kind regards,

Chris

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
My apologies!

I finally found it on the map - about 3 miles east of Holmfirth. Its actually nearer Holmfirth than Kirkburton. I know some Holmfirth baptisms were performed at their Chapel of ease which came under Almondbury parish so will have a look and see if I can see Jonathan's baptism there.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry - nothing in the Almondbury registers for a Jonathan Jagger.

Can I ask - was your John Hirst's baptism in 1796 at a nonconformist establishment? It's just that I've looked in my booklet of baptisms at Kirkburton parish church 1795-1812 and it isn't there!  ???

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Thanks for your reply and for looking in Almondbury for Jonathan's baptism, I really do appreciate it.

As described previously, I'm having real problems with Kirkburton Parish Registers.  Also, I realise that there are lots of mistakes too (with the interpretations), so I am looking at the records myself. But I have found, in Kirkburton, not Holmfirth:

John son of Ellin Hirst by Jno Jagger of Hepshaw reputed father ? eeks old (bap) Oct 30th 1796

There is another John Hirst, bap May 31st 1795, son of James Hirst of Hallas

But, I know that my John Hirst was born in Hepworth, so I don't think that this second one is the right one.

There are several years, in the Kirkburton P R's,  which are on Ancestry, where there appears to be huge chunks of the year missing. Do you know if the problem is with the original records themselves, or with the way that they have been copied?

Thanks again,

Chris

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
This is really strange!

All I can think is that a mistake was made when the FHS were transcribing the registers. if you are looking at the original registers copied on Ancestry and have found the 1796 baptism, then its obviously been left out of the FHS version. I just wonder if it has been included in a Holmfirth booklet that I haven' t got.

Anyway, Jonathan Jagger was the query, and I'm afraid I can't find him either.   :-[ The best I can do is from the Almondbury PRs for a Jonas Jagger baptised 1.1.1774 s/o Joshua, a shoemaker. Their abode is Netherthong which is only about 3 miles up the road from Hepworth. But if you're definite about him being called Jonathan, this obviously ain't him!!

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/ThurlstoneLandTax1803.html

Penistone Parish

Thurlstone Land Tax assessment for 1803

No 19 John Jagger

http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924028042988#page/n173/mode/2up

Place locations Hepshaw Thurslone page 163 bottom right

May People make this mistake over the moor above Hepworth and Dunford Parish in Barnsley. Hepshaw is at Crowedge just in the Barnsley Boundry with Kirkburton and Penistone parishs.

http://www.barnsley.gov.uk/dunford-parish-council

http://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-333781-barn-at-hepshaw-farm-dunford

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 August 11 02:10 BST (UK) »
Sheffield Archives

SpSt/199/13

part 1

Contents:
William Green of Berners St. Oxford Road, par. St. Marylebone, Middlesex, esq., only son and heir of Mary Radcliffe, by Samuel Green her first husband, and daughter of John Clarkson, late of Silkstone, of the first part: Luck Anningson, late of Wakefield, and now of Firby, Yorks., esq., and Sarah his wife, daughter of Mary Radcliffe and Samuel Green, of the second part: William Walker late of Penistone, Yorks., but now of Wembley, Middlesex, surgeon and apothecary, and Catherine his wife, another daughter of Mary Radcliffe and Samuel Green, of the third part: Thomas Sutcliffe of Dodworth Green, Dodworth, Silkstone, gent., son and heir of Jane Sutcliffe, daughter of John Clarkson, of the fourth part: Thomas Watson, late of Doncaster, Yorks., now of Winkhouse in Clayton with Frickley, Yorks., gent., and Ann his wife, only daughter of Jane Sutcliffe, of the fifth part: Joseph Allen of Furnivalls Inn, London, gent. of the sixth part and Jonathan West junior, of Barnsley, Yorks., gent., of the seventh part.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth