Author Topic: 16 Shaw Street in Dukinfield  (Read 2925 times)

Offline BFW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 Shaw Street in Dukinfield
« on: Monday 15 August 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
It is possible that my great grandmother Sarah Shaw went back to England in 1933 for a visit and returned to Canada in 1934.  Her last address on the ship manifest before she returned in 1934 was 16 Shaw Street in Dukinfield.  Could someone inform me how I can find out  who lived at that address in 1933/34?  I am trying to confirm if she did travel to England after her husband died in 1932.  They brought five children with them to Canada in 1925 but left three grown sons behind in Lancashire and siblings and cousins in Cheshire.  Unfortunately there are no relatives left who might have known if Sarah went to England.   If I had the name of the resident in the house at 16 Shaw Street I believe I  would know if it was my great-grandmother who took that trip to England.
Any help would be appreciated.

Barb
Canada
Lancashire: Shaw, Kirkpatrick, Owen, Nadin
Cheshire: Bamforth, Kirkpatrick, Higginbotham,
Fife: Archibald, Bowman, Beveridge, Black, Penman, Wilson
MidLothian: Penman, Robertson, Steel

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Shaw Street in Dukinfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Sarah Shaw aged 83 (possibly 63 but figure is blurred) arrived Liverpool 26.8.1933 from Montreal - travelling alone

Proposed address in the UK was 16 Shaw St Dukinfield - shown as Duttonfield
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BFW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole.   I found the information on ships arriving in Canada and a friend in England confirmed the one arriving in Britain.  Her age was actually 53.  Now if I could only find out how to determine who lived at that address it may solve a mystery. 

B
Lancashire: Shaw, Kirkpatrick, Owen, Nadin
Cheshire: Bamforth, Kirkpatrick, Higginbotham,
Fife: Archibald, Bowman, Beveridge, Black, Penman, Wilson
MidLothian: Penman, Robertson, Steel

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Barb
I was hoping to be able to help you out but unfortunately cannot.I live in Tameside where Dukinfield is situated.My local studies have electoral registers but unfortunately do not have the ones for 1933/34 for Dukinfield.
My only other thought would be Cheshire records office www.archives.cheshire.gov.uk . They do hold electoral records but whether for Dukinfield I do not know. Their website has an online enquiry form so you could ask them via that.You never know you may get lucky!
Regards
Eric :)