Author Topic: Ardfert Excise officer  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ardfert Excise officer
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would imagine that had to be done nationwide, as illicit stills were I believe very common. I also believe the clergy were often partakers of this product.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was a retired parish excise officer in Leicestershire, and seems to have spent a large part of his working life in the Leic and Warwickshire areas. So I doubt that coastguard duties were part of his life!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline MadThemad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
As my excise man was qualified for surveying Brewers,Maltsters, Distillers,Brandy Wine, Tea, Tobacco Dealers and Spirit Retailers, he could be sent anywhere.

I suppose that as they worked for the government they were not well liked. I'm surprised that he became an Excise man as he came from a small village.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 August 11 20:12 BST (UK) »
Who was it that said the only certainties in life are death and taxes? One difference between the two is that taxes can be evaded.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Katy60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 October 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have been trying to trace any relatives of my Great x 3 Grandfather Edmund Fitzmaurice.  I had not been on Roots before so I have had to sign in to reply. You are the first person I know with a connection

Mary Fitzmaurice was Elizabeth's mother. Mary is on the  1851 Census and her sister Elizabeth Williams.  She would have been at her daughter's marriage.

The 3 children were baptised in Ireland and I have proof of David's baptism in Tralee as he is my direct line.  He died quite quite young.

I also have all the documentation of his exams and admittance in to his profession of Excise officer which I obtained from The National Archives.  We have had to transcribe it as it was difficult to read

There is a puzzle as to whether they split up or Edmund died.  On the 2 census I have for Mary she says she is a widow but she died in 1861.  On the Excise docu.... at the very top is scribbled- retired but not very clearly and a date.

Elizabeth was baptised in Cork (census ) and Edmund in Formoy, Cork(census)  I am having great difficulty finding any Birth or Marriage for Edmund Fitzmaurice but I keep searching.

Could you tell me how you know he went to Waterford as I do not have that info.

I can find some deaths in Ireland that may have been Edmunds but non in England but it was the time of the potato famine.

There were only 3 children;Elizabeth, David and Edmund although Mary's sister is on the 1861 census. Her name is Elizabeth.  They are not on the 1841 Census so may have been in Ireland.

I hope that helps and if you need anymore info let me know
Regards

Offline Katy60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 October 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hello MadThemad

I am checking to see if you found the reply I sent with all the info you want

Katy60

Offline Phil21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 May 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Katy60.

Sorry I've taken so long in replying but I never received your reply and have had trouble with my emails. I now have a new email so should be alright to receive any more news. I have a marriage certificate for Edward Glover and Eliza Ann Fitzmaurice. They were married at Burton-On-Trent on 20th December 1857. Edward died on the 29 July 1878 at Drypool Sculthorpe Hull Yorkshire. Eliza remarried someone called Charles Pywell in the September quarter 1882. I cannot find either of their deaths at the moment. I saw written on Edmund Fitzmaurice Excise papers the word Waterford and presumed he went there after training. I hope you are well. Philip

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 21:59 BST (UK) »

Hi,

You may have already seen this, but just in case  :)

Death
Eliza Ann PYWELL    Jun Q 1906   Hull    9d 106

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Phil21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 December 20 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy.

Thank for that information, I'll check it out. Sorry for the long delay in replying I've been busy with another line of investigation. I was checking Glovers again in Wales and Cornwall.

All the best.

Phil.