Author Topic: Muscovitz - Poland  (Read 11557 times)

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muscovitz - Poland
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for Jacob Morris Muscovitz, born abt 1843, Lodz, Poland.  Married Eleanor or Aleena Blema or Medel from the same city.  They had Abraham born about 1873 in Poland. Came to London and had Nathan, born 1876, Simon, born 1878, Golda born 20 Feb 1880, Gershion, born 1882, Jacob born 1886, Bertha, born 1888 and Rebecca, born 1891.  Cencus 1881, 1891 and 1901 places the family in Mile End Old Town, London.  Hoping to find more information as to when they arrived and vital records on the family.
Thank you
Pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline Alawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Muscovitz - Poland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello there

My Great Great Grandfather is Jacob Morris Muscovitz. My Great Grandmother, Golda Singleton (nee Muscovitz) was his daughter. I'm in the process of piecing my family tree together on Findmypast.co.uk. My name is Abigail and now live in Wales after my parents moved here from London.

Where do you sit in the family tree?

I'm happy to share the information I have if there's an easy way to do it!

Best, Abi

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Abi
Thanks for the responce.  I have Golda M married to George Singleton, 19 Feb 1902 and they had 10 children.  I have done a lot with the Singleton line.  And would love to find more ancestors for Golda.  Prehaps a PM message would be good.
Thanks again
Pearl Singleton
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline shauno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 11 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fellow Muscovites

Im a descendent of Morris Muscovitz - Morrie Morris and Ben Morris. Refer to the link below.
This tree was done by a Patricia Hopps in the states (im in Australia) and may help fill in the gaps. My family in oz had chased this line for ages and was happy to get the name of Morris's father  - Alexander which we never had before. PS these are the anglisised names.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/o/p/Patricia-A-Hopps/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0013.html

Your dates and names mostly match up. Im interested to see if if this Jacob Morris is also Morris Muscovitz aka Simcha Moisha. There seems to be a few different names floating around ie Abraham born 1873 is mostly likely Alf Morris, Jacob born 1886 is most likely Jack Morris, Gershion born 1882 is most likely george morris.

Pearlsing - I put the Muscovitzs arriving in England from Lodz between 1873 and 1875 (Alf Morris, b. Abt. 1874, Lodz , Nate (Nathan) Morris, b. Abt. 1875, Mile End, London).

Some of us went to Australia - my line (ben Morris was in aust by late 1890's) and some went Canada and some stayed in England. Ive searched Jewish records in lodz via the web and not found any clear reference to the Muscovitz' s and Alexanders name. This is my main focus at the moment. Any references would be helpful.

Abi it looks like were related (Golda is Morris's sister my great great grandfather) but this reference to a Jacob Morris Muscovitz  ive never heard of befor. Can you both clarfiy this and is his fathers name aleaxander born 1820ish- mothers name unknown at this stage.
PS Morris died in 1918 in England.

All the best Shauno

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello
As far as I know Jacob is Morris according to Census reports.   I have Golda's marriage cert, it states Jacob Muscovitz as her father.  And his occupation as fish monger.  Simcha Moisha name I believe I got from the Jewish site.  I think we may have connected through a Jewish site.  Perhaps PM messesages would be in order.
pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline shauno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pearl

Silly me didnt look carefully at the email you had sent my uncle Garry. PM d you. Thats great Jacob is morris. This fish monger occupation is interesting for me - kinda explains my last 15 years of professional and recreational life. Ive worked with fish in one way or another all this time. Kinda creapy i know.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Shauno

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

Pearl - can you please elaborate on your remark that 'Jacob is Morris according to the censuses'?

Yiddish double names, e.g. Simcha-Moisha, were not unsual, and suggest that the individual was named after recently deceased relatives on both his father's and mother's side. Also, using the second of the two names as a individual's everyday name was common practice.

However, the name Jacob has no connection with either Simcha or Moisha. I suspect that there was some sort of mistake on Golda's marriage certificate. Do you have here birth certificate? The fact that her birth name was registered in a clearly patronymic form, i.e. Golda Morris Muscovitz, provides stronger evidence of her father's everyday name.

Furthermore, the website movinghere has a record of her brother Simon's attendance at the Jews' Free School in east London. Simon's father was named as Morris Muscovitz.

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
The Jewish records of Konstantynow Lodzki (Lodz province) include this marriage:

Szymche Mosiek Moskowicz  to Blima Kaliszer

Sz = sh in Polish

Sender Moshkowicz was born there in 1864.

This birth entry indicates that the original surname was Moszkowicz (pronounced Moshkovits) = son of Moshko = son of Moisha

I cannot find any online records (yet) that tell us Simcha-Moisha's father's name. What is the source for Alexander?

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the message.  I'm attaching Golda's marriage cert.
The name Simcha-Moisha  I thought was a reliable source (family tree) could be wrong.  Alexander I'm not sure where I got that from.  Sorry.  I could have it all wrong at this point. 
But I'm sure of Golda's father was  a fishmonger, according to her son.

Thanks
Pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon