Author Topic: Muscovitz - Poland  (Read 11551 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Muscovitz - Poland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Ignore my closing remark about Mosiek; he died in infancy.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Shaun,

Emanuel M. married Mary B. on 25 Nov 1885 at the Prince's Street Synagogue, Spitalfields

Do a search here on the rootschat site for 'marriage authorisation' posted by me. Then search for the MA here http://www.theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records/

Sender's and Rachel's MAs are also in the current database.

Justin

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
JustinL
I have been following the messages about the Muscovitz family which my Golda is attached.   Have you had a chance to look at her marriage cert?  Any thoughts to why her father name is stated as Jacob?   
Thanks your had work.
pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline shauno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts again Justin...ill be away for a couple of days and will follow up on your suggestions when i return.

Why would their oaths of allegiance be so late in life? Any thoughts there?

Pearl - I think we'll have to make Justin an honourary Muscovitz.....

I dub thee Justin Muscovtiz

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 November 11 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Pearl - I have looked at the marriage cert. Although she 'married out', she was of full age, so would not have needed parental authority to marry. I can see no reason why she would intentionally tell the registrar that her father was called Jacob.

The father with whom she was recorded in three consecutive censuses only ever went by the name of Morris (in non-Jewish circles at least), so I can only draw the conclusion that there was a mistake. I would suggest starting a new topic on one of the general boards to solicit other opinions.

Would you consider ordering the birth cert of Sarah Muscovitz, Q1 1880 Mile End (1c, 554)? You could always specify that you only want the cert for a child of Morris and/or Elena/Eleanor.

Shaun - Naturalization did not confer any significant benefits for your average Polish/Russian Jew, and many did not bother. It was obviously different for German Jews (such as my great-grandfather) in the run up to WWI. In short, I don't know why they left it so late. The papers themselves may of course provide a clue.

You might want to join the mailing list of british-jewry.co.uk, and put the question to them.

Justin

PS I'll change my business cards accordingly.  :)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 November 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Just made a couple of interesting discoveries in the JRI-Poland database.

The death of Manele Kaliszer was registered in Konstantynow Lodzski 1861 (FHL film 730172). Manele is a Yiddish nickname for Emanuel.

This man was possibly Blima's father.

The database also records the registration of the birth of Blima Kalisz in 1847 (FHL film 730171). The spelling of surnames varied and it was not unusual for vital events to be registered a few years after the event.

Justin

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 November 11 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I agree Justin should be a Muscovitz!!
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline Alawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow, so while I've been off-line it looks like I've got a new relative - Shauno, nice to meet you! And we have a family tree helper in the form of Justin - terrific! I'm staggered at how much you've all dug up. I've shared some information with Pearl which I'm sure she's passed your way, but if you need anything just give me a shout.

Happy New Year!
Abi Muscovitz!

Offline Brian Bursten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 April 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
I've just joined this site. I am the great grandson of Simcha Moishe and Blema Eleanor. My grandmother Bertha was their daughter and sister to Golda et al. I have a family tree prepared by my great uncle George (Gershon) in the 1960s- Bertha's brother. Bertha immigrated to Winnipeg, Canada with her husband, Monte (Weinstein) Winston, and my mother, Evelyn, in 1912. When I was in London a couple years ago I went to see the street my grandparents lived on in the East End-Lincoln Road or I believe now called Brokesley, or vice versa.