Author Topic: William Smith , Croton Ontario.  (Read 7322 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith , Croton Ontario.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacquie and Debbie.

Thanks very much for your efforts here. I thought I was doing well when I found on Family Search the marriage of George (son of William) Smith to Josephane Kelley on the 4th of April 1888 at Camden,Kent, but a bit disappointed when his parents were listed as William and Elizabeth Smith.
Webster showing up as Elizabeth Smiths maiden name is interesting and her father from the census as Irish. It may be coincidental that William's wife and also his mother were Websters but the marriage of cousins in this family at the time was not uncommon and many local families emigrated at the same time from here. Elizabeth would have been born circa 1840 at Dawn Mills ,father Irish,mother English. Does Ancestry cover this time period ?

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 August 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
Statutory registration of births in Ontario didn't start until 1869 so you would have to check parish records however I don't know of any websites with parish records for Ontario.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 August 11 04:47 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rykbrown/taylor_of_dawn_mills.htm#Other Dawn Mills Settlers
Perhaps the discussion forum at this site might prove helpful in tracking information on Elizabeth.

Debbie

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 August 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all the info. Am I correct in saying that the Dawn Mills we are talking about is within a short distance of Croton itself and other places we have mentioned here on the board.

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
William Smiths second marriage was to a Letitia Cameron and they are to be found on the 1901 Census with a son John Fleming. While Letitia may have been Williams second wife it seems William was Letitias third husband.

1) Henry Fleming (1838-1890) she married the 3rd Oct 1876 at Chatham Kent.
2)William Cameron , marriage the 3rd May 1892.
3)William Smith she married the 12th July 1897.

John Henry Fleming (1881-1970) was from the first marriage.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 April 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
I was lucky enough to come across recently a relation with a large bag of photos and below is a picture of the man I was researching.

John

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

As time has gone on I have found out more about this family from various sources .A daughter Sally Ann (AKA Sarah) born 2 Apr 1863 married a Whittaker Bilton from Camden. It still eludes me to find a marriage date here. A daughter of theirs , Jane was to go on and marry into another local family. In 1904 she married a Douglas Snary of Croton and I believe this name still continues on in the area.

I am still finding it hard to find out any more on William Smiths wife Elizabeth Webster. Several more sources confirm she was born Dawn Mills but that is still as much as I know about her apart from her been married to William.

John

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.

I have been very lucky in that working with a co-researcher on this family a book has been found that tells who Elizabeth Webster was. The book "Commemorative Biographical Record of the County of Kent, Ontario, pre 1904" by J Beers" tells of the early settlers of the county and covers many in great detail. With no official record of birth or marriage to be found yet the book gives the information that she was the daughter of Henry Webster and Jane Waterworth and that she was indeed the wife of William Smith. It also tells that she was one of thirteeen and gives information on most of them. With reserach that I have done on the Webster family here in Ireland and information in the article in the book we have been able to prove that William Smith and Elizabeth Webster were first cousins. One little piece of information breaks down that brick wall.

John.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 February 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I just read through the thread for interest and was glad to see an outcome.
But now I just have to ask ... Power Wicklow ... any Monck connection there? ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?