Author Topic: Paddison family in Bury/Sawtry  (Read 15554 times)

Offline Curttom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paddison family in Bury/Sawtry
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find any info relating to John Frederick Paddison. He is listed on the Sawtry War Memorial as being killed in the first world war and I have found the details of his death on the British Legion site but I would like to find out where and with whom he was living in Sawtry. I believe his father was born in South Africa and at the time of the 1901 c he was living with his family in Bury Hunts. This is assuming this is the family of the J F Paddison who is named on the Memorial.

Thanks for any info, Curttom.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Paddison family in Bury/Sawtry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
There is an 1891 birth on freebmd in St Ives for a John Frederick Paddison which fits the 1901 entry you found

The CWGC website has a WW1 death for a John Paddison but not a John F - also the Medal Roll Index only shows John - with the Northamptonshire Regiment

The free 1911 index has a John Fred Paddison aged 19 living in Hunts - have you already checked the entry?  Using the instructions below does not show anybody else called Paddison in the same household

Being realistic - without an address it would be virtually impossible to find who he was living with in Sawtry several years later

USING THE FREE 1911 INDEX TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT HOUSEHOLD
http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Once you find a possible match - make a note of the county and district in which the person was living

Return to the index and in PERSONAL DETAILS - just put the surname of the family - nothing else

In LOCATION - Select the county and below it - type in the district

In OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HOUSEHOLD - show the full name of the person you have found on the index

Click SEARCH

The 1911 census is strictly pay per view so you will have to buy credits to view the full entry - the above instructions will only help to possibly show others of the same name in the same household
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Is he possibly the 1916 marriage to Daisy Moore in Whittlesey??
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Curttom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Carole. I did wonder about the Moore marriage but as yet have no way of confirming that.
I did find the entry on 1911c but my Ancestry membership has expired so maybe I will buy some credits and have a look at it.
I think the CWGC info is correct and is the same person.
Thanks again. Curttom   

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Daisy M Paddison married Alfred E Mills in 1923 in Cheltenham

There is no freebmd death for a John F Paddison between 1916-1922 so I think it was the right marriage

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 August 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
The Peterborough Advertiser reported the wounding of Private Paddison on the 31-3-1917: "Pte. J. Paddision, son of Mr & Mrs Paddison, of Sawtry Manor, has been wounded by shrapnel in the head, March 6th, and is now at Salford Royal Hospital"

(I believe that the injury was more likely on 4-3-1917 at Bouchavesnes with the 2nd Battalion, but it could well have been after the battle and on the 6th).

The medal roll lists his battalions as the 2nd and then the 7th.

His number is confirmed by the report of his wounding in the Times of 2-4-1917. His place of residence is listed as Peterborough.

His death is reported in the Official Casualy Lists of 29-8-1917 when his residence is listed as Cambridge.

I don't have a reference to his death, but I could probably find one in the local papers.

Steve.
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 August 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
If he had died of his wounds in England - there would have been a death reg for him - but there isn't - so he presumably returned to duty

www.cwgc.org.uk shows his date of death as 31.7.1917

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 11 01:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, his earlier wounding with 2nd Battalion was not fatal; he returned to France with 7th Battalion and was Killed in Action at Shrewsbury Forest near Ypres on 31st July 1817.

The later report notes him as Killed in Action rather than Died of Wounds, etc.

There was a small thumbnail picture of him in the Peterborough Advertiser of 7-4-1917 that I can post later if required.

Steve.
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
Here is the photo of John Paddison (2nd from right, under the "5").