Author Topic: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon = COMPLETED  (Read 17895 times)

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Hewson ELLERTON
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 February 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Mary Hewson b. 3 Jun 1879, Hull
d. 21 Jun 1969, Hedon

Marriage 29 Nov 1904

children
Joseph Robert Ellerton b. 5 Aug 1906
Antony Gerard Ellerton b. 11 Jun 1909
Mary Ellerton b. 2 Dec 1912
Margaret Elizabeth Ellerton b. 10 Oct 1914

Mary’s parents:
William Hewson b. 26 Feb 1855, Welburn, N Yorks
md. 26 Feb 1878
Mary Bretherton b. 22 Feb 1854, Thurnham, Lancs

In case it seems strange that these last two got together, born so far apart, family historians put it down to the fact that both had older sisters in service* at Rudding Hall, Follifoot, Spofforth [near Harrogate] who probably decided their younger siblings would make a good match.  See below:

1881 census, Mary J. Hewson, unmarried, age 39, born Welburn, servant and cook at Rudding Hall, Follifoot, near Harrogate, FHL film 1342032, PRO ref RG11 Piece 4326, Folio 55, p. 1, head of household Joseph P.P.Radcliffe, Baronet Majistrate [sic], and Lady Katharine Radcliffe, born Upton House, Dorset,

On 1881 census, Annie Bretherton, FHL Film 1342032, PrO Ref RG11, Piece 4326, Folio 55, p. 1, living and working as a housemaid at Rudding Hall, near Harrogate, age 40 and unmarried, born Thurnham.

*We've noticed that Northern Catholic nobility seemed to share and recommend good RC servants, so they may have moved from one stately home to another.

Mary Hewson had 8 siblings, and I can go back a few generations on the Hewson and Bretherton lines, also with good, large RC families!    How much info would you like?

Diane

PS – Mary Hewson and Robert Gibson Ellerton are my husband’s grandparents.  What is your connection to the family?

I'll post more on Wm. Jewison Ellerton

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon = COMPLETED
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Cliff,
It looks as though I may be wrong on Wm. J. Ellerton.  I can't find any of the info that was sent to me by his grand-daughter in Canada, so it just may be her part of the family that went there.  I'm trying to get in touch with her again, but I'm hindered by the fact that I've had a computer crash - faulty hard drive - and email accounts hijacked twice, and totally lost one account to the hackers, so I've also lost those emails.

I thought I had it all backed up, but it appears that the family tree version I was able to recover was prior to entering any data given me by Sue, the Canadian grand-daughter.

Note that although the Gibson cousin's name was spelt "Jewson," William's name was spelt "Jewison," but apparently "Jewesen" at his death.  The name, as you probably know, comes from the Gibson line was was usually spelt "Jewson," but such variations are common.  His great-grandmother on the Gibson line was Jane Jewison or Jewson.

We have Hewson sometimes spelt "Hewison" and also "Huison," so they can vary quite a bit.

Sue had sent me a very good photo of Wm. J. on his horse, WWI vintage, although I'm not quite sure why he was on the horse, as he's on the Hedon Role of Honour for WWI, as a Driver,  Army Service Corps.

I hope to hear from Sue, but it may be that her email address has changed and I have no other way of contacting her.

Diane

Offline CBC327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.....
     Thank you so much for sending such helpful information on the Ellertons - I have spent the evening entering in all the new information.

To answer your question about my connection: my grandfather Robert Jewson Gibson (b.1870) was the son of Fanny Gibson Ellerton's brother John Gibson.  This past Oct. I spent a week in the Hedon area with my younger brother and we were thrilled to be able to find so many Gibsons buried in the
cemetery at St. Augustine's.  We spent a couple of days in Beverly gathering information there and also visited the History Centre in Hull on a couple of occasions.  All in all it was a profitable trip and we came home with much new information for our family tree.

In addition to entering in the information you gave me I tracked down some other data thanks to Ancestry.com.  I did find quite a bit about Enid Nelson's parents, and also can confirm for you that
Amy Agatha's first baptism was at St. Augustine's Church on 06/08/84 and her second was in the RC church 3 years later. (I have the 2 vol. set of St. Augustine's parish records).....  also I found Amy in the 1911 census working at a hospital in Hull - so she did not marry either of those men in 1906 at Bridlington....

I have all of this posted on the Gibson/Carr Family Tree on Ancestry. com - it is a "public tree" so feel free to take a look if you have access to it.

I would welcome anything else you have on some of the other siblings - especially the two daughters born to his first marriage.
Many Thanks - Cliff in Bethlehem, PA

Gibson - East Riding
Bett - Fife
Ellerton - East Riding
Smith - East Riding
Faulkner - East Riding

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Hedon!  Did you make it to the Shakespeare Inn?  Wonderfully unreconstructed old pub.  We had lunch there, and I said to my husband, "I'll bet if you asked an old timer here, they'd remember your relatives."  He was very unconvinced, but we picked the oldest person we could find and asked, and he did remember and was willing to share his memories with us.  My husband was so inspired by that that he stopped the next elderly person he saw in the street, and he too was able to tell us some wonderful stories about Robt. Gibson Ellerton, who was postmaster there.  One of the brothers worked for him - I think it was Alban, but it might have been George - also delivering post.  Something about taking care of the town clock or some such thing, too.

Did you go to the Hedon Museum?  Martin Craven helped set it up, and he's a historian and a good source of information, was a family friend.  He gave us a copy of a photo of Josephine Mary, the daughter who was killed by a bomb.  He said a woman had come in several years ago just after they started the museum and said that for years she'd been suffering from a bad conscience, as she'd gone over to Daisy Villas the day after the bomb hit and seen a photo lying in the rubble, and she'd picked it up and kept it all those years, wanted to give it to him for the museum.

Robert Gibson Ellerton also published a lot of postcards with scenes of Hedon, sold them with other stationery at the P.O.

I'll look back to see what you already have on Sarah Acey's daughters; you probably have all that I have already.

Diane

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,
For Sarah Acey's daughters, I have only 1867, Sproatley, for Anne Elizabeth, and I think you have all the census information on her - ?  1901 census:  Annie Young, age 33, born Yorks Sproatley, living Yorkshire East Riding Hedon.

For Alice Mary, I just have born 1869, Hedon; baptised 4 Jul 1869, Hedon St. Augustine's; marriage as you already know.

You said that you have St. Augustine's registers, but do you have the Hedon RC?  I'm not sure if they'd be duplicated in the St. Aug. or not.  But Amy Agatha's record says she was born 11 Jul 1884 in Hedon, baptised 20 Nov 1887, Hedon SS Mary & Joseph RC.  I will try to append my complete RC Hedon/Marton records at the end of this if there's enough space allowed.

Also, Fanny Ellen & Frederic's first child, Albert, born 18 Oct 1872, Hessle, buried 28 Jan 1873, Hedon.  So he lived about 3 months, must not have been premature.  They only got married 13 July 1872, so I wonder if that was a marriage of convenience?

Are you aware that they, Fanny Ellen and Frederic, are buried in the private graveyard belonging to the Constable family at the [also private] RC church at Marton?  Unfortunately, there are no grave markers or even any records of which plots are where in that part of the graveyard.  The other side is the aristocracy.

From Hedon registers Church of SS Mary & Joseph, data copied 13 Jan 2001:
Alban born 17 June 1893, bap 25 June 1893
Joseph Robert born 5 Aug 1906 bap 12 Aug 1906
Agnes Mary Hewson wife of Robert Gibson
Ernest Bernard Ellerton born 12 May 1906 bap 19 May 1906, son of George and Ellen Priscilla nee Harrison
Antony Gerard born 11 June 1909 bap 29th Aug? 1909
Winifred Mary Ellerton born 14 Oct 1912 bap 27 Oct 1912, daughter of Agnes Mary Ellerton
Agnes Mary Ellerton born 30 Nov 1888 bap 24 Dec 1888
Robert Gibson Ellerton b 14 July 1874 bap 3 Nov 1889
Ada Mary born 3 Jul 1877 bap 3 Nov 1889
Augustus Ellerton born 27 Sep 1891 bap 11 Oct 1891, son of Frederic and Fanny Ellen
Fanny Ellen Gibson born 11 March 1849 bap 21 Dec 1891
Mary Ellerton born 2 Dec 1912 bap 8 Dec 1912
Margaret born 10 Oct 1914 bap 18 oct 1914
Francis born 18 Sep 1928 Bap 23 Sep 1928 son of Alban & Gertrude Doris; 5.4.75 ordained to priesthood
Susan Margaret Butterworth born 24 March 1941 bap 13 Apr 1941 daughter of Francis Norman and Margaret Butterworth
Jane Elizabeth Butterworth born 26 Jan 1943 bap 7 Mar 1943        "
Margaret Elizabeth Butterworth 30 Sep 1977 [died?buried?]
Enid Ellerton born 12 Dec 1910 conv 23 Dec 1950, daughter of Henry & Millicent Anne Nelson
Enid Ellerton 16 Dec 1981 [died? buried?]
Amy Agatha Ellerton bap? 20 Nov 1887
George Bernard Ellerton bap 20 Nov 1887
William Jewison Ellerton bap 1 Nov 1887
Henry Sylvester Ellerton b 17 Jul 1887 bap 22 Apr 1888 son of Anne Elizabeth Ellerton
George Ellerton d 24 Dec 1963 bur 31 Dec 1963
Augustus Ellerton d 8 Nov 1891 bur 10 Nov [probably the son of Frederic & FE rather than the son of WW]
Margaret Ellerton d 10 Dec 1897 bur 13 Dec 1897
William Wilson Ellerton d 9 Mar 1899 bur 12 Mar 1899
Alban Ellerton d 30 Mar 1940 bur 3 Apr 1940
Josephine Mary d 8 May 1941 bur 13 May
Robert Ellerton d 1 Jul 1954 bur 5 Jul 1954
Mary Ellerton d 21 Jun 1969 bur 21 Jun 1969
From Hedon SS Mary & Joseph reg:
Confirmations:
William and Frederic Ellerton 30th Oct 1867 [this may be William Wilson?]
Robert and Ada Ellerton 16 Jul 1891
George Bernard, Fanny Ellen and Amy Agatha Ellerton 4 Aug 1895
William and  Agnes Ellerton 18th June 1899
Alban 4 Sep 1904
Joseph Ellerton 27 Sep 1914
Bernard Ellerton 7 Sep 1919
Steven Ellerton 23 Feb 1964
Josephine 29 Jul 1923
Gerald Thomas 11 Sept 1932
Patrick Robert?  Patricia Roberta? Ellerton 20 Jun 1937 [this might be a birth???}*
Enid Ellerton 22 Apr 1951
Jane Butterworth 22 Apr 1951
*Patrick Robert?  Patricia Roberta? Ellerton 22 Apr 1951

From the Church of the Holy Sacrament, Marton:

Register of baptisms:
George Francis Ellerton b  4 Jan 1855 bap 4 Feb 1855
Frances Jane Ellerton b 14 March 1857 bap 12 Apr 1857
Augustus Ellerton b 19 Jan 1860 bap 12 Feb 1860 by Robert Hogarth; 
   Sponsors:  Augustus T. Constable & Elizabeth Caley
Frederic Thomas Ellerton b Feb 3 1846 bap 15 Mar 1846 by Robert Hogarth
Henry Ellerton b 26 Oct 1851 bap 23 Nov 1851 by Robert Hogarth
   Sponsors:  Talbot Constable & Mary Styche

Liber Defunctorem:
Frederic Thomas Ellerton of Hedon d 11 Nov 1925 bur 13 Nov Marton by Christopher      Flanagan
Fanny Ellen Ellerton d 8 Feb 1926 bur 11 Feb Marton by Christopher Flanagan

Liber Confirmatorum:
1867 William Ellerton conf by Robert Comthwaite; Sponsor:  John Styche

PS the Rev. Hogardth is an interesting story in himself.

Diane

Offline CBC327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sending another Treasure Trove !!   Have found lots of birthdates I was missing and other interesting information.... also tracked down the Butterworth spouse/family and found the name of the wife of Henry Sylvester..  As an Anglican priest I am fascinated by the conversion and re-baptism of so many of those originally baptized at St. Augustine's.  I do not remember seeing the RC church when we were in Hedon. I note that Marton is about the same distance from Sproatley as Hedon - I guess that explains that connection.  We did not get to meet Martin Craven when there as he was abroad, but he did leave us the copy of his books which we purchased. We did spend some time at the Museum and the folks there were most helpful - even showed us some of the postcards done by Robert.
Thanks again for your help.
Cliff
Gibson - East Riding
Bett - Fife
Ellerton - East Riding
Smith - East Riding
Faulkner - East Riding

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,
You're one ahead of me; who was the wife of Henry Sylvester, then?
Have you found the data that Francis Norman Butterworth died in WWII?  The CWGC site says:
In Memory of FRANCIS NORMAN BUTTERWORTH
Sergeant 1112329115 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve who died on
Monday, 18th May 1942. Age 26.
Additional Information: Son of Harold and Catherine Mary Butterworth;
husband of Margaret Elizabeth Butterworth, of Hedon, Yorkshire.
Commemorative Information
Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL, Surrey, United Kingdom Grave Reference/Panel
Number: Panel 79. Location: This Memorial overlooks the River Thames on
Cooper's Hill at Englefield Green between Windsor and Egham on the A308, 4
miles from Windsor.    [died laying mines off Boulogne, according to family]

The "conversion" of some of those was not really conversion at all, simply that prior to a certain time, RCs had to hide their religion and they were all required to perform their ordinances in the Anglican church, at any rate.  I'm very sure that the Hewsons and Brethertons had been RC for a long time.  Not so sure about the Ellertons, but I think the conversion was mainly made under the influence of the Constable family at Burton Constable, as that's where William Wilson Ellerton met his wife and where he worked for many years.  Some of the children in the family have Constable family names rather than traditional Ellerton names, and as you'll note on the register from Marton, some of the Constables were sponsors for Ellerton baptisms.

The connection with Marton is simply the Burton Constable connection, as Marton RC was their private church and on their land. A lot of he Northern aristocracy remained quite Catholic - the Howard family, the Constables, and many others.  That's why so many of the stately homes have priests' holes.  Thicket Priory even had a "priests' tunnel" connecting it to the ferry at the River Derwent [Fery Boat Inn, another good pub!]

The Hedon RC church is rather unprepossessing, as relatively new.  Because the Catholics were not permitted to have churches for such a long time, they lack the age of the CofE churches - which were RC before Henry VIII, of course.

The Ellertons only settled in Hedon when Frederic T did his apprenticeship there, and his parents later came to live there also.  William Wilson was from the N. Riding and was the "original mutant" who travelled all over the place and therefore established his branch of the family in the E. Riding.  There were other Ellertons in the E. Riding previously, but unrelated. They would have taken their surname from Ellerton on Derwent, whereas our Ellertons were from Ellerton on Swale.

Wm. Wilson Ellerton was a huntsman, jockey and groom, and besides working for Sir Tomas Aston Clifford Constable, worked for Lord Elcho at Gosford House, Longniddy, Scotland, and also for Lord Milton [Earl/Viscount Fitzwiliam - sorry, I get these titles mixed up!] - at Milton Hall near Peterborough.

Diane

Offline CBC327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane,
           Here is what I found out about Henry Sylvester:

In the 4th quarter of 1909 he married Florence Louisa Ware, in Elham, Kent
She was born in the 2nd Q of 1881 in Camberwell, London - daughter of Alexander & Louisa Ware.
       She died in Willesden, Middlesex in the 2nd Q of 1963.

They are both found at Aldershot in the 1911 census
He died in the 4th Q of 1947 in Pontrefact 

Cliff
Gibson - East Riding
Bett - Fife
Ellerton - East Riding
Smith - East Riding
Faulkner - East Riding

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 March 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,
Thanks for that detail.  Can you tell me what the 1911 census says about him?  I can't access it without going to the library and haven't seen his data there, but I presume you've found that his background details in 1911 confirm his place of birth and all?  Otherwise, it would seem a bit strange to find him marrying and living that far south....except that Aldershot is military, so I'm assuming that's why he was there - ?
Diane