Author Topic: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon = COMPLETED  (Read 17837 times)

Offline CBC327

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon = COMPLETED
« on: Friday 19 August 11 01:58 BST (UK) »
Frederick Thomas Ellerton - b. 1846 in Etton, married 1st: Sarah Jane Acey - b. 1847 in Elloughton, and 2nd: Fanny Ellen Gibson - b. 1849 in Hedon.  He was the father of 11 children, 2 of whom died in infancy.

I am seeking information about the following:

Anne Eliz. Ellerton - b. 1867 - date and place of death unknown.  married?

Alice Mary Ellerton - b. 1869[b  Married: John Josiah Johnson in 1890.  He was born in Skirlaugh in 1867 - parents and date & place of death unknown.

Robert Gibson Ellerton - b. 1874  Married: Mary Hewson in 1904.  Her birthplace and
parents unknown. 

Ada Mary Ellerton - b. 1877. Married: Frederick Kent in 1907.  His birthplace and parents unknown.

George Bernard Ellerton - b. 1882.   Married: Ellen Priscilla Harrison in 1903.  She was born in Hainton, Lincolnshire around 1881 - parents unknown.

Amy Agatha Ellerton - b. 1884 Married?    Date & place of death unknown.

William Jewison Ellerton - b. 1887[b   Married #1:  Lilian Lucy Kerr in 1909 - she was born in Caister, Norfolk - parents unknown. She died in 1915.    Married #2: Edith Gray in 1921.  She was born in 1907 in Hull - parents unknown.

Agnes Mary Ellerton - b.  1888   Married George F. Marlow in 1918.  Nothing is known about George.

Alban Ellerton - b. 1893  Married Gertrude Doris Berry in 1922.  After his death she married Harold Francis in 1947 - we have no record of her death.

Any information would be welcome.
Thanks.
Cliff 

Gibson - East Riding
Bett - Fife
Ellerton - East Riding
Smith - East Riding
Faulkner - East Riding

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A possible? there's a marriage in Oct to Dec 1894 (9d 597) for an
Annie Elizabeth Ellerton to Arthur Young in Patrington.

Have seen Annie (born Skirlaugh) on the 1881 census with parents. On 1891 she's a domestic servant in Wauldby?, could not find an Annie E Ellerton (or variation) on 1901 that would fit, but there is a Anne E Young on 1901 census with a George A Young (could the 'A' be Arthur?) living in I think Ryehill with children. The age & birthplace appear to fit, but unable to see original record to confirm (linking to wrong original image).

Hope it helps, will see if I can dig up anything for the others.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 11 03:35 BST (UK) »
Family search lists John Josiah Johnsons father as William Johnson (on the entry for the marriage of Alice Mary to John Josiah).

1881 census shows John J Johnson (14) living with William Johnson (38) born Skirlaugh, Ellen Johnson (34) + younger siblings living in Hull Holy trinity.
Piece 4778 folio 13 page 19.

modified to add:
1901 census Alice Johnson (32) b Hedon, Head, boarding house keeper
Ada Ellerton (23) sister
a little lower down
Frederick Kent (36) born Leeds
Piece 4499, folio 88, page 26.

Ada married Frederick Kent in 1901? not 1907 typo?

Re Amy Agatha Ellerton - family search appears to indicate she is on the 1911 census, record type 'institution'? - maybe worth checking out if you have access.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
A little bit more digging.....

Ellen Priscilla Harrison b. 26/3/1880 Hainton, father William & mother Emma (from family search).

1881 census piece 3264, folio 82, page 6
William Harrison 31
Emma Harrison 30
+ Ellen P Harrison & siblings.

William no longer around
Ellen & siblings with mother.

also from family search:
William Harrison (b 1850) married Emma Johnson (b1851) in Wragby Lincs. on 15/5/1871. Fathers William Harrison & Samual Johnson.

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again, a little more....

From family search - Lillian Lucy Kerr baptised 24/1/1888 Yarmouth
Parents George James Kerr & Lucy Kerr

1901 census lists for Caister
George J Kerr (42) born Ireland
Lucy Kerr (37) born Caister on Sea
Lillian L Kerr (13) born Caister on Sea
+sibling.

1891 census has in Caister
Lucy Kerr (27) Head
Lillian Kerr (3) daughter
Heven't found George - could he be a fisherman (I have a few Norfolk/Suffolk relatives who were fishermen and moved to Hull to continue fishing in the late 1800's/early 1900's) although in 1901 he's not listed as a fisherman. 

Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline paulbellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
George James Kerr was married to Lucy Moore 21 Dec 1886 and was in the Navy. He served from 1876 to about 1895. He was born in Limerick in Ireland to John Charleton Kerr and Matilda (maiden name unknown)
His daughter, Lilian Lucy Kerr had two sisters, Gertrude Margaret Kerr (my great-grandmother) born 1891 and Dorothy Elizabeth Kerr 1899-1921.

Hope this helps

Paul

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ELLERTON FAMILY of Hedon = COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 12 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I can give you more information on the Hewson family - Mary Hewson, wife of Robert Gibson Ellerton - if you still need it.  Pls. let me know and I'll post it.
Diane
P.S.  William Jewison Ellerton emigrated to Canada.

Offline CBC327

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 12 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Diane,
      Thank you for your reply - I would welcome further information on Mary Hewson - am also intrigued by your comment that William Jewson Ellerton went to Canada - I have him as dying in Worth Valley, Yorkshire in 1960 - can you enlighten me?
Thanks, Cliff
Gibson - East Riding
Bett - Fife
Ellerton - East Riding
Smith - East Riding
Faulkner - East Riding

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,

I have a mountain of possible info here and not very well organised, so I may have to do it in several different posts.  Also depends on how much info you already have as to dates, how much you want, and what I could actually fill in.

I have christening dates on some of these, as we’ve been through the actual RC registers at Hedon and Marton, E. Riding.

From your earlier post, questions relating to Amy Agatha Ellerton:
Amy Agatha, b.11 Jul 1884, bap. 6 Aug 1884 – per Pete Fewson of Hedon from local records.
Not baptised till 20 Nov 1887 - From Hedon SS Mary & Joseph reg:  Amy Agatha Ellerton
I don't know why there are 2 baptisms, unless one was CofE and the 2nd, RC.

Possible Marriage Jun 1906    ELLERTON  Amy    GRO ref:  Bridlington  9d 651  to either: 
HOBSON  Edwin Arthur     Bridlington  9d 651    or
Morris  Henry Edwin     Bridlington  9d 651
As there are two per page, and without the certificate, as I’m sure you know, I can’t find out and haven’t tracked her through census material yet.

Re Gertrude Doris Berry Ellerton Francis – died 1963, burial Hedon Municipal Graveyard.  She and Alban had 2 children, can give you that info if you want; some of it below:

MI’s from Hedon Municipal copied by my husband and myself:
TAKEN 25.12.99
"Here rests Alban Ellerton 1893-1940
Harold Henry Francis 1899-1961
Gertrude Doris Francis 1900-1963
Francis Donald Ellerton 1928-1989
Gerald Frederick Ellerton 1923-1992"
Francis and Gerald are the two sons of Alban and GD.
Alban is rumoured to have committed suicide, but we don’t have any details.

TAKEN 01.1.00 -
1 - "Robert Ellerton, d. 1st July 1954, aged 80 
  wife Mary d. 21 June 1969 aged 90" 

2 - "Ellen Priscilla wife of George Ellerton d. 8 May, 1941, also Josephine Mary, daughter, died 8 May 1941, also fiancee of above, George Ronald Oliver, POW in Siam, d. 19 February 1944"*

*Killed by the only WWII bomb ever dropped on Hedon, Daisy Villas  - listed on Commonwealth War Graves Site, as is the fiance, G.R. Oliver.  Supposedly the bomb hit the Anderson shelter; George had opted to stay in the house and survived.

3 - "Enid Ellerton d. 16 December 1981 aged 71, wife of Anthony Gerard (Gerry) Ellerton d.14 July 1986 aged 77,
also her sister Ada Elizabeth Mann, d. 17 September 1962 aged 73 years"`

HEDON MIs [St Augustine's - from ERYFHS publication]
In loving remembrance/of/ WILLIAM WILSON ELLERTON / of Hedon / who died March 9th 1899 / aged 82 years / Also MARGARET his wife / who died December 10th 1897/ aged 78 years / Peace, perfect Peace. (Headstone) Burials PR records 1899 Mar 12th William Wilson Ellerton, Hedon, 82 and 1897 Dec 13th Margaret Ellerton, Hedon, 78.

Alice Mary Ellerton
Marriage said to be 16 May 1890, but this is from an IGI private submission, therefore unsubstantiated.

1891 census:  #6099047 12/3939 Folio 131 Myton (Holy Trinity)
5 Avenue Cres.
John Johnson..      h..   m..   25..   Grocer..   Skirlaugh Yks
Alice M..."...      w..   m..   21..   ........   Hedon Yks
George Ellerton..   visitor..   9..   scholar.   

1901 census: Alice Johnson, age 32, born Yorks Hedon, living Kingston Upon Hull Holy Trinity & St Mary,  occupation:  Boarden[sic] House Keeper
[So she may have been a widow by then?]

I’ll go on to the more specific bits on Mary Hewson and Wm. Jewison Ellerton in my next post.

Diane