Author Topic: Great Boughton lookups  (Read 4276 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Boughton lookups
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
If you send for the birth certificate of William Alma Lewis using the reference you gave in the first post it will give his mother's maiden name which will make it much easier to find the marriage.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 August 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Jean, have been avoiding sending for certificate but think now it is the only way.

As William married a relative Mary Margaret Foulis, who died a few years later, I was interested in his origins, especially when I discovered how much he had left in his will. 

This genealogy research keeps me curious as to the how's etc.

Again, many thanks to all who have assisted.
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline BinaBeloved

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 19 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hello again!

Is the William Lewis and Mary Margaret you speak of the grandparents of Wendy Desirée Aylmer Lewis Meredith? If so, I have story which my grandma (Wendy) told me about her mother's parents:

A Margaret Foulis eloped with a doctor without her family's approval. One of them (I believe it was Margaret) died after having (I believe) two children, one of whom was my great-grandmother. The story goes that these young children were brought back to the Foulis family—who slammed the door in their faces.

Please let me know if this is the connection! If not, please pardon my interruption. I'd like so very much to know more about this family line....