Author Topic: COMPLETED - Immigration to Australia - HAMBROOK or HAMBROCK - 1860-1870  (Read 7509 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request - Immigration to Australia - HAMBROOK or HAMBROCK - 1860-1870
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 August 11 06:01 BST (UK) »
in reply #4 I gave the link for one of Stephen snr's obits from TROVE which also gave his age as 68 - however we all know what newspapers can do to the truth  ::)

If you browse TROVE using HAMBROOK there are very many mentions there re the family's sporting memberships, the son's various moves in his teaching career, accounts of the death of Stephen jnr (doctor said it was natural causes; he had been unwell earlier), obit for Stephen's wife Alice (b Rosedale abt 1852, married Stephen aged 17 at Rosedale) etc etc

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Longstocking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request - Immigration to Australia - HAMBROOK or HAMBROCK - 1860-1870
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 August 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Yes, Trove really is a treasure! I've been browsing through it in the last few weeks. I never thought I could find out so much. It's fascinating.

I found a great article there about Morris Bartholomew Hambrook (another of Stephen the Elder's sons) - Morris was an early champion of distance learning (correspondence school) in Victoria. Apparently there was a school in surburban Melbourne dedicated to correspondence schooling of which he was principal. Another teacher, too!

Cheers!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 August 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
I am not sure exactly where you stand with your record searches, but I will mention, in case you have not seen it, there is a digitised ww1 record for MORRIS BARTHOLEMEWW HAMBROOK which you can read.

There are also other ww1 records for the sons of ALICE HAMBROOK which lists her as NOK.  Perhaps you have already seen them.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

Apart from that.... ;D

If you are able to indicate what in particular you would like to discover about your people, there will probably be plenty of help around of many sorts and categories

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Longstocking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 10:18 BST (UK) »
Sue

Thanks for the war archive tip!

I had previously seen digital copies of enlistment records but did not realise other war files are available too.

The one for my grandfather is actually quite sad. He was wounded during WWI but then went AWOL in Cape Town, South Africa on the return journey to Australia. Instead of court martialling him the army discharged him on medical grounds. There seems to have been a long-standing mental illness (and yet he went to fight in the war to end all wars!).

Until now I knew nothing about the AWOL / discharge thing, only that - according to family lore - he was incapacitated by a war injury (which, by the looks of his file, is not the whole story...)

Wow.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have read that file.

Let us know if there are areas still open to exploration of interest to you.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Longstocking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In terms of particular info I am interested in, I think the main area would be migration records (whether here or in Ireland/UK). I'm also wondering about how to find out more about what work they did, or land they bought or leased.

I got a digital copy of both Stephen Hambrook's and Batty Hambrook's death certificates - they are both a bit hard to read but it looks like Stephen had lived 58 years in Victoria, which if accurate means he came to Australia a bit earlier than I had thought (around 1855, as a 10yo child). By comparison, Batty's certificate (which is almost illegible) seems to say he had lived 20 years in Victoria (which would equal arrival in 1866, at around 27yo).

How reliable is the info on the death certificate?

I might have to dig up Margaret's to compare.

For the moment, I am a bit confused...

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
An 'informant' gives the information on a death certificate so it is very dependent on what s/he knows.  If the informant is a grand-child, for example, it is very possible that they will not know dates etc for the early life of the person who has died.  Even a child of the dead person may not know about early marriages/immigration/children who died young. 

Having easy access to birth and marriage certificates is quite a modern thing!  I am 65 and had only an 'extract of birth' in my possession until I needed a passport in my 20s.  I have only just discovered that my grandmother's names on her birth certificate are not quite those we have always believed she had and those on her marriage and death certificates.

Death certificates give the name of the informant. Occasionally the undertaker is listed as the informant so you don't know who gave the actual information to him.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zellar19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Immigration to Australia - HAMBROOK or HAMBROCK - 1860-1870
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 14:05 BST (UK) »

John Bermingham was Stephen Hambrook's cousin.  Stephen was my Great Grandfather on my maternal side. Funnily enough my Great Aunt on my Paternal side ended up marrying John Birmingham.

Offline zellar19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Immigration to Australia - HAMBROOK or HAMBROCK - 1860-1870
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 14:10 BST (UK) »

Oops, meant to say Great great Aunt married John Bermingham.