Author Topic: Where could someone who died in Kinneil, Bo'ness be buried? William Newlands  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Gr8scot227

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am searching for my ggg grandfather who was a furnaceman at the Kinneil Iron Works in Bo'ness. His name was William Newlands, although the 1851 census that shows him in Bo'ness has him and his family listed as Nolan. One of his children was listed in a parish baptismal record in Glasgow as Noonan.

In 1851 he was in Bo'ness, then he disappears. I can't find him in another census or a death entry. He was born in Ireland, possible 1811-1815. He married a Margaret De Burgh (also written on documents as Burke) and had 4 children- James 1841 Glasgow, John 1843 Glasgow, Catherine 1845 Glasgow and Francis 1848 Oakley, Fife.

Margaret and various children appear in 1861,1871 and 1881 in Glasgow. In 1859 she had an illegitimate child who was registered under her maiden name De Burgh, but after that he appears on censuses, marriage and death certs as Newlands.

So another poster and I have come to the conclusion he probably died between 1851 and 1858 when she got pg. He is listed as deceased on his son's marriage cert in 1866. I realise he may have abandoned the family, but they list him as an iron works furnaceman on all their marriage certs so I am thinking he was still working at Kinneil when he died.

So after all that info, lol, I am wondering if anyone can tell me what cemeteries were/are in the area, especially RC ones as he was RC? As I mentioned, I have not been able to find his death on SP, so perhaps he died by 1854/55.

Thank you.

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where could someone who died in Kinneil, Bo'ness be buried? William Newlands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gr8scot227

I looked up pre-1855 burials for both Bo'ness and Carriden Parishes and can't find anyone with the name Newlands. 

There isn't a specific "Catholic" cemetery in Bo'ness.  The main cemetery is on Dean Road (for Bo'ness).  Prior to that cemetery opening, the cemetery was on the location of what is now "The Wynd", which cut the cemetery in half when it was created.  I think the older cemetery would be too early for your Newlands ancestor to be buried there.

There is a cemetery at Carriden, where the Church was founded in the 1770's (prior to that, Carriden Cemetery was up the hill at Carriden House, but that's too early for your ancestor).

If he died around 1855, you could find his death in either the Old Parish Registers or it may have been registered when the new system came into being. 

Other than that, were people cremated then?  Could he have been living somewhere else?

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Offline DiGi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where could someone who died in Kinneil, Bo'ness be buried? William Newlands
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I meant to add that the similar names listed in the Bo'ness pre-1855 burials are Noble, Norval and Nuckle.

Cheers

DiGi
West Lothian: Grant, Webster, Lowrie;  Fife:  Innes, Scotland, Wardlaw;  Northumberland: Armstrong, Gillings, Blenkinsop, Latimer, Shields;  Cumbria: Pearson, Gasgarth, Gibson, Rudd;  Kent: Cross, Atkins, Saunders, Sharp;  Norfolk: Bristow, Gillings, Birchall

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Could there be a mix up somewhere with the placename Newlands to the south of Bo'ness near Kirknewton.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gr8scot227

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking and for your ideas. I was home for a few days last week but had no time to go up to Bo'ness. Maybe next trip!

Seoras, what do you mean?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Just chucking ideas around Gr8scot and probably talking rubbish.But there is a place,Newlands,not far away.I just wondered if somewhere along the way this placename had been mixed up with his surname.Could he have lived there for a while.

Don't mind me I've started the whisky early ;D
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Gr8scot227

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
LOL Seoras. Merry Christmas  ;D

No his last name was Newlands- still is the family name.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 February 12 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hope you enjoyed your "half" George!!

L&S ... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.