Author Topic: Anybody going to Beds RO???  (Read 2185 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody going to Beds RO???
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 05 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Was wondering if you would mind checking a couple of wills for me please next time you go.

I found a couple of names but before I order if there is anything else, such as occupation it may help.

Daniel Warner Green March 1793
John Green April 1796 (just looked at my writing, it could be 1790)
John Green Nov 1787

Also an admon

William Green, Clifton  1806.

Thanks in anticipation.

Diane :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 June 05 19:58 BST (UK) »

will give it a go........give me a few days, maybe Wednesday or Thursday,

bye Susan
Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Susan,

Very much appreciated.

Diane :) :)
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline waterfall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
First I should say I do lookup of wills not at Beds CRO but from an index in local library which is an index from Bedfordshire Probate Records 1484-1858. For myself I do that and then when visiting Beds CRO I can  ask to see the original. Having said that I looked in the index today and found nothing for
Daniel Warner Green March 1793,
John Green Apl 1790/1796
John Green Nov 1787.

For William yes, ref given.

William Green, Clifton, yeo, A1806/11

I did look to see if any others that might be connected with the little that I know of your "Greens". Bit of a nightmare with such a common name.......I have "Smith".....such fun.!!!!

Anyway here are the few that may or may not connect........picked out because the parish borders Shefford ........no other reason.

Edward Green, Southill, Rowney, farmer, 1761/56
Edward Green, Southill, Rowney, farmer, 1779/18

Elizabeth Green,Clifton,  spins, 1854/19

Sarah Green, Clifton, wid, 1852/47

William Green, Chicksands, farmer, A1751/8
William Green, Shefford, baker, 1826/53
William Green, Shefford, spirit merchant, 1838/31

Warner Green, Shefford, butcher, 1853/53

I have no idea as to how much Beds CRO charges other than when I get a copy for myself and that has always been in person. So if you are not too sure and can wait for another week or so when I plan to visit Beds CRO I can have a look at those you are not too sure about. I suppose I would need to know a little of your tree.....think a bit of it on here.

Am happy to look as I will be doing my own stuff so no big deal,

Susan

Bedfordshire. Hull, Lines
Buckinghamshire. Hull, Lines
Hertfordshire, Hull, Lines
Durham, Matthews
Yorkshire, Matthews
Durham, Lincolnshire, Abbey
Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

Thanks so much once again :)

I ordered the other will ref you gave me and it was £5 by post.

I would so much love to have a couple of days there, but I am a fair few hours away in Essex and with school age children not so easy.

The William Green Clifton I shall probably get

Also the  Warner Green Butcher and William Green Baker.

Will e mail the RO tomorrow.

As you say Green is a nightmare name, but doesn't seem quite so bad in Beds. When my William moved to London between the 1841 census and when he married in 1859 it got a little bit hairy!

I have my nan Liilian Green, then her father Thomas(b.London), Then William(b.Clifton), then George (clifton in 1841 then ???) It got a bit desperate after George as his marriage entry in 1830 gave no place of birth or parents!

But thanks to a lot of help from you and also much information from Criggy last year I am 99% certain that the John Green whose will I ordered is George's grandfather. Everything ties up with the bakers and the Warner name.

William married twice 1859, then again 1872. He had several children with his first wife Jemima. 1871 census she was nowhere to be seen and the girl he married was there as servant aged 17!! although I haven't been able to find all those children on other census.

I have him on every census bar 1851, which could possibly hold the key to what happened to George and his wife Ann.

Anyway I digress(sp?)

I have just received the Shefford registers and as soon as will plough through and try to fit that part of the family together.

Also the fact that the John Green (father of George?) married a Sarah Green, whose father was a William Green of Clifton to my mind makes no doubt that this John is Georges father.

It would seem that John Green who died in 1810 owned Stanford Mill. I did email the RO about this but have had no answer, will try again.

He was married to a Martha.

He left the mill to Thomas William and Warner. His son John (mine?) was left £50. He married a Sarah Green and had a fair few children, quite a lot died!

Her father William (who I wonder that admon ref could be) was from Clifton. He was married to an Elizabeth.

I don't know where the Warner name comes from as yet. My Thomas named one of his sons it too.

Once again much appreciated.

Diane :)

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 March 08 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Diane

Have a look at UK National Archives as there may be clerk's copies of Wills as there are for the POPE family...there may be real Wills in the Beds Archives.

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]