Author Topic: WSRO Lk-up, Pls: CHAMPION Horsham Union 1911-ish  (Read 645 times)

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WSRO Lk-up, Pls: CHAMPION Horsham Union 1911-ish
« on: Monday 22 August 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Is anyone available to look-up some Horsham Union records for me? I've turned-up my rellies in the workhouse at the 1911 Census.

Amelia Jane CHAMPION (mother); Wm CHAMPION (1902); John CH. (1904); Leslie Joseph CH. (1906); Lilian CH. (1907); Elsie CH. (1909)
[all the above are long-since deceased]

I suspect the admission date would be around 1909, the father (William, born 1882, Horsham), seems to be absent.....? Any clues?

Any info about admission date/reasons/provenance; address; circumstances; discharge dates/destinations would be great!

I'm not sure why they were in Horsham (they lived in Croydon or Lewisham)... but this maybe because of Wm senior's place of birth.

Also I have no idea why Elsie was born in Christchurch.... Not aware of any connection.

Thanks. :)
Tim,  Isle of Skye
CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: West Sussex RO Look-up, Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
They married in Lewisham in 1900 and Amelia was b 1879 Eltham although the 1901 entry shows her as 19yrs old

The 1901 has them indexed as Changnon and Amelia is Milly.  They were boarders living in Eltham

William was a bricklayer

RG13 Piece 544 Folio19 Page 30
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
*** Completed*** Thanks CHAMPION Horsham Union 1911-ish
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply,  ;D Carole, yes, that's them, but it is actually the Horsham Workhouse records that I am after ....

There are several unanswered questions, and they date from late 1908/early 1909 when William (b 1882, Horsham) disappears off the scene.

1) What did William do and/or why/where did he go, that effectively made Amelia destitute?

2) What was Amelia doing in Christchurch in 1909, when she had been living in Croydon c. 1903-1907?

3) What were the admission and discharge dates?

4) From where admitted and to where discharged?

5) Why Horsham Union? - Is it just because that is where the errant William was born?

I have emailed West Sussex records office and had no reply, although it appears that they hold at least creed records for that time period.

Thanks,
Tim

CHAMPION;  MORLEY;  HARWOOD London/Kent/Bromley;  JEFFRIES Warwickshire Regiment; PARKINS;  CAPON  Northants Regiment

Offline TimothBStard

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
*** Completed *** Thanks - CHAMPION Horsham Union 1911-ish
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
WSRO unfortunately don't hold the records that I wanted  :-[   . 

Thanks everybody.  ;D