Author Topic: Hammetts from Youghal,  (Read 5561 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hammetts from Youghal,
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 August 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline natashawitch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicca,

John Hammett was my great-great-great-granduncle. I am descended from his sister Jane. I have been dabbling in family history for years now and have a good bit of Hammett info if you are interested. The Hammetts were Church of Ireland as were the Dudleys, I am not sure about the Hanans, they may have been COI or RC. John was a shoemaker by profession like his father but sadly his first wife Dorothea died in the famine as did their two little daughters. He married again but it is a bit confusing as to if he married once more to Elizabeth Hanan in 1852 in Youghal, or if he did marry an Emily/Elizabeth Dudley as well, as he gives his wife Elizabeth's maiden name as Dudley on a later birth registration. But Elizabeth Hanan outlived John, so he didn't marry again after her. John and Elizabeth moved to London after the famine, and the family in Ireland lost touch with them. But John's son John and daughter Mary Eliza went on to have families of their own. We think he also had a son George who may have died of Smallpox in 1881.

How are you related to John?

All the best
Natasha

Offline nicca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 May 19 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Natashawitch

I am related to John Hammett on my grandma’s side of the family. My grandma’s grandma was Mary Eliza Day new Hammett from Youghal Ireland. I am so sorry  that I couldn’t have replied earlier. Life happens. I went to Youghal 2 years ago to visit my grandparents birth place. I found gravestones at the collegiate Church of St Mary’s and also entries of the Dudley’s ,Hannons and Hammetts. I am still on my quest to learn more about my ancestors roots. Mary Eliza married Charles Day and moved to London. There they had two children Ada Louisa and Charles John Day. Please if you get this message we can correspond more. My email is (*)

Best wishes

Ronnie Finn
Nicca

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.