Author Topic: MULLAN  (Read 6929 times)

Offline mullan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MULLAN
« on: Tuesday 23 August 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bradbrend,

My name is Steve Mullan my grandfather is William Mullan son of Hugh Mullan and Hugh Mullan was son of Thomas Mullan also known as (Tam Mullan) he would be my great great grandfather. I know Tam Mullan was a grandmaster of the Orange Order. I believe  Hugh Mullan got re married after his first wife died but i am unsure what her name was but i do know he had a further two children and this is what i am trying to find out. Hugh Mullan married a young woman at the time and in them days it was frowned upon so his children kind of disowned him. I am now trying to find out who he was married to and his other two children and any other siblings. My question to you is is your dad Hugh Mullan? I could be barking up the wrong tree here if so sorry for wasting your time.

Hope to hear from you son.

Kindest regards

Steve

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MULLAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
I've split your post so it wouldn't get lost on the 12th July and Orange Lodges thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,338673.0.html

This is the post that caught your interest-
Hi fmni
Thank you for your offer. I am trying to find information on my grandfathers brother William Mullan (and any other siblings he may have had) The only information I can find of William is that he was born Galgorm Co Antrim 1872.
My grandfather Thomas Mullan dob18/7/1874 died 10/1/1944 and his 6 sons Hugh,William, Thomas,James, Adam & Henry were members of Cromkill (Co Antrim) LOL 543. I believe my grandfather was grandmaster for a time.
Thanking you

I've sent bradbrend a PM (Personal Message) to say there's a new thread here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bradbrend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
We have a connection. My mother was Hugh's sister. I knew your grandfather & grandmother quite well. I am aware of Hugh's second  family and could give you some information on them but not openly on this board. After posting 3 messages we can send personal messages to each other. Are you Freddie's son?
Regards
Brad
Little, Mullan/en/in, Johnston, Hyndman, Co Antrim
Thompson, Co Londonderry

Offline mullan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Brad,

I am Freddies son, i am very excited about this. I came across your post by fluke, i typed in google search engine Orange Order to find out info on my great great grandfather as he was a grandmaster. Then i seen a forum page by a link, i then clicked on it and scrolled down and there you were asking a questions about Tommy Mullan. This is great news.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards
Steve

Offline bradbrend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I have been researching my family tree for a few years now.
I live in Australia and have found it difficult at times to get the information required and it can also be costly, however the members of this site have  helped me a great deal along the way.
 Are you located in N.I?

Regards
Brad
Little, Mullan/en/in, Johnston, Hyndman, Co Antrim
Thompson, Co Londonderry

Offline mullan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Brad,

I am currently living in England about 1 mile away from Stonehendge, i am currently serving in the Army just like my Dad did and my Grandad. The reason why i started to research my tree because my wifes first name is Melanie my mums name is Margaret, my Grannys name is Mary my Great grannys name is Mariam and i think my great grannies name is Mary very spooky don't you think?

Regards

Steve

Offline loumapes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I'm rather interested in this post as my grandmother is a Mullan who's Grandfather (my great great grandfather) immigrated here to Australia in the late 1800's. But his father apparently was a well known member of the Orange Order. Anyway, do we know how many Mullan's were apart of the order?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Mullan (Mullin, etc.) is a very common Ulster surname and 'Orange Order' isn't much help without an exact location in Ireland. All that tells you is that the family were Protestant and not Catholic at that stage.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline norciuolo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve Mullan,

I too think we may have a connection My Great grandfather was William Hugh Mullan born 1898. His Daughter was Ivy Mullan (McNelis) I was curious is was a mach ? I have William Hugh as having a father Thomas Mullan 1874