Author Topic: Yarnton Parish Records  (Read 4998 times)

Offline HallmarkADI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yarnton Parish Records
« on: Wednesday 24 August 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
I have been given a list of my descendants going back to a Thomas Dunsby, born in Yarnton in 1695, and died on 22nd October 1781. He was the son of another Thomas Dunsby but I have no birth or death dates for this member of my family. Does anyone know if the parish records go back further than 1695 to include Thomas Dunsby (the father in this case) and any of the family from which he is descended?

Thanks
H

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yarnton Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi ...

Welcome to Rootschat!

Yarnton parish records date back to 1569, so there's a chance that you may find information on Thomas snr.  However, I have checked quite a few Oxfordshire resources and there's very little on DUNSBYs prior to 1700.

I did come across this marriage on the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837) which may be worth investigating further:

15 JUN 1718 - Thomas DANSBY (of Farthinghoe) to Sarah SAUNDERS (of Yarnton) at Oxford St. Mary Magdalen

(The OMI includes the parish of Yarnton, so it would seem that there are no pre-1700 marriages there.)

Farthinghoe is in Northamptonshire and about 20 miles north of Yarnton, and it's always possible that Thomas jnr.'s parents married after they had their children!  Additionally, Yarnton is right on the old (pre-1974) county boundary with Berkshire.  The OFHS have a separate marriage index for those parishes previously in Berkshire (but now in Oxfordshire) and you can request a look-up via their website at www.ofhs.org.uk (there is a small fee).

You may also be interested in this article on the Yarnton village website at www. yarnton-village.org.uk/grandmother-tale/ - go the paragraph starting "Growing in the lane ...".  This would seem to indicate that the DUNSBYs originated from Lincolnshire - the IGI has a good number of pre-1700 DUNSBYs listed for that county.

Hope the above gives you some more leads to follow!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline HallmarkADI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 August 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Pennie

Thank you for the information, there are a few good leads I can look in to here.

I will post again to let you all know how I get on.

H

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hallmark
Just had a look at the OFHS CD for Yarnton = OXF-WOD01 and there are a lot of Dunsby's in there but sadly I could not see the one that you are looking for.

The info is very hard to read as the type set has faded - it may do you well to invest in the CD and have a look for yourself?

As Pennie tells you it starts Bapts1569 to 1900, Marrs 1569 to 1900 and Burs 1569 to 1900

Sorry cant help more
NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 13 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I too descend from Thomas and Sarah and would like to thank Pennie very much for finding that marriage  entry it looks perfect as Thomas and Sarah 's first child was buried in Yarnton 12 Jan 1718/19  DUNSBY Elizabeth d Tho after that they had children every 2 years until the tenth was born in 1839. I think Sarah could be Sarah Sandars baptised in Kidlington to a Thomas 09 Mar 1700
I would like to know how HallmarkADI knows Thomas was also son of a Thomas as I have so far failed to find a baptism for himin either Yarnton or Farthinghoe. However I would like to welcome HallmarkADI to the extended and extending family
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 January 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
 From OFHS St Mary Magdalen PRs...

Marriage....

Jun 15 1718 Thomas Darnsley, of Farthings, Northants to Sarah Saunders, of Eardington, Oxon ( Warwicks ? )

Above is exactly as wrote....

Sue  :)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 January 13 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Sue pity that isn't so exciting I could see Dansby and Dunsby being mis read but nit so sure of  Darnsley,  and DUNSBY I think I need to see the actual register if they will let me the Oxford RO are very protective of the registers I still think it will be worth checking the Northamptonshire registers too
 ??? Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline goblin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
i am looking for any records on a emma robinson, who was born in yarnton in the early 1700's.  She married a Thomas Fawdry from salford.  Would like to know who her parents were, and  where she might be buried as well as where thomas fawdry would be buried.  thank you, goblin
ward, fawdrey, judd, wright

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Goblin
I think you may need to add to your information here.
I have a particular interest here as my family name is ROBINSON (spelling variants) from near by Wolvercote, Yarnton Wytham and Woodstock and of course Oxford.

I have checked the OFHS Marr Index and there is no FAWDRY (spelling variants) listed who married an Emma nor a ROBINSON  (spelling variants) within a 100 yrs either side of your date/s,

I have also looked at the Yarnton transcribed OFHS CD and whilst the reproduction is very poor and in parts illegible there is a family of ROBINSONS (spelling variants) in Yarnton who are having children baptised 1693 to 1706 no EMMA.

They had Edward, Andrew, Hannah, Elizabeth, Cattern, Mary - all entered as children of Daniel (spelling variants)

Sorry i cant help more at this time?

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,