Author Topic: Booker/Gibson marriage  (Read 3323 times)

Offline MaggieK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Booker/Gibson marriage
« on: Wednesday 24 August 11 19:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can confirm if Francis Booker (born 1787 Enysford, Kent) married Sarah Gibson (born 1799 Eynsford, Kent), it could have been around 1826. I have searched all the Eynsfords Parish Records and have found nothing. Their first child was bapt in 1827 and I have found all the children's baptisms in the Eynsford Parish Records.

Thank you

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Booker/Gibson marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 12 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello MaggieK;
  I relate to the same tree (Francis' sister Elizabeth Booker b 1783) although I haven't confirmed those details myself, as I have not checked the Eynsford parish records.  However. several other people on the same site I use have your Francis with his marriage to Sarah Gibson June 1826 Eynsford parish.  Odd that you did not come across their marriage in the PRs. They also have Sarah's parents as William Gibson and Dorothy Browne. Hoping this is some help to you. :)
Cheers,
CL
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline MaggieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 12 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. A relative in New Zealand found me out and confirmed that she had Sarah Bookers maiden name as Gibson. This was on a certificate her son (Francis Booker 1832-1911)  had in New Zealand. He had married my husband's relative Emma Clements and emigrated to New Zealand. Hope that make sence.

Am interested in your connection to Francis Booker's sister Elizabeth (1783)as I have no information about her and her family.

I am looking at their parents Francis Booker (1749-1806) and Sarah, many on the site I use have a marriage of Francis Booker and Sarah Boniface, however I am not convinced about this as that marriage was in Sussex and in 1768 and the first child of Francis and Sarah was in 1779, it seems unusual to have such a long gap before the children start coming along. I would be more in favour of a marriage between Francis Booker and a Sarah Pryer in Lambeth as that was in 1779 and their witnesses were from Eynsford. Also on the IGI family search the children of Francis Booker and a Sarah in Sussex do not have the same names as the Francis Booker and Sarah in Eynsford and they started having children in 1768/9 which would tie in more with the Boniface marriage in Sussex.

Anyway those are just my thoughts.
Thanks for your reply
Maggie

Offline chiplassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 12 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie;
  That is good news to confirm the Booker Gibson marriage.  I will send you a PM so that you can access Elizabeth's tree information.
Best wishes,
CL :)
Stanton-Lincolnshire
Smith-Lincolnshire
Edwards- Lincolnshire
Selby-London
Davis-Kent
Booker- Kent
Acton-Kent
Davies-Southwark, London
Maher- London
Mills-Kent
McLean-Antrim, NI
McGookin-Antrim, NI
Moore-Antrim, NI
Watson-Armagh, NI
Hamilton-Armagh, NI
Jones-Cardiganshire
Strange-Suffolk
Bronwin-Suffolk
Shields-Lanarkshire
MacArthur-Stirlingshire
Clements-Antrim
McGuigan-Antrim

Offline snowqueen14

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from John Booker & Elizabeth Darling... and have been reading different Wills from the Booker & Pryer families...
b
In the Will of Boetius Symmachus Pryer, he mentions his wife, Sarah Pryer, his Brother Thomas Pryer,  and also his 2 Sisters - Elizabeth Pryer (w.o. of William Booker) (and my ancestors).... and Sister, Sarah Pryer (w.o. Francis Booker), so it seems to confirm what others on here have said.

Both the Booker & Pryer families seem to have been very connected to each other, as in my tree, I have Cousins marrying, but Eynsford was a small place, so it makes sense...

Hope that helps, have a copy of a lot of the Wills, if anyone would like a copy!

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been struggling with the Bookers for about a month now, John Booker and Elizabeth Durling are my 6xGreat Grandparents through their son Thomas who married Eleanor Saker.

MaggieK, I came across the Clements name in NWKFHS bulletin but wasn't sure who Francis' parents were, thank you for the info.

I also have the wife of Francis Booker b1749 as Sarah Pryer (Boniface could not be a possibility due to the other Pryer family connection/will).  This Francis took up a lot of time as it appears he played cricket for the Duke of Dorset, I believe the DOB for the Francis Booker England Cricketer as given on many website to be an error caused by confusion with his older brother Francis b1746 and d1747.  I'm guessing they found a baptism for the first brother and didn't bother to see if he died or if there was a second Francis. 

For the parents of the above two Francis' I have John Booker b1712 and Elizabeth Durling, as do many others on Ancestry, my disagreement is with John's parents. Many people have Thomas and Anne Ashdown but I do not agree.  They also have this Thomas as dying in 1777 and leaving a will, again I disagree.
I am certain that the parents of John b1712 are Francis Booker b1679 and Elizabeth Cooper, and that the 1777 will belongs to their son Thomas b1706.  The buriel record for Thomas who died in 1777 states that "he was above 50 and Clerk of the Parish" (explains why he witnessed a lot of marriages) now if this will was for the Thomas married to Anne Ashdown then it would have said "nearly 100" as Thomas was born in 1680, Also the beneficiaries in the will fit with Francis and Elizabeth's children not with Thomas and Anne's, lots of discrepancis if you try to fit the beneficiares with Thomas and Anne's children!

So I have four Bookers at the top of the Tree, I assume they are siblings all in Eynsford: John married Elizabeth, Susanna married William Gur, Francis married Elizabeth Cooper and Thomas who married Elizabeth then Anne Ashdown.  As yet I am unable to trace parents.

I am not convinced that Anne Ashdown is the Sussex/Dadswell one, there were families of Ashdown's in the Eynesford area and other Bookers in Sussex, so I am not going with this connection. 

And I can't find Henry Booker, the one who had The Harrow Inn in Eynsford in 1828.

If anyone can confirm or help with the above or even disagree please do

Thanks
Patches

Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline PeterHarridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting, hope someone is still looking at this topic. I was just in Geni contact (a family tree site) with someone else who is also related to the people mentioned on these pages. My ancestor and hers, is Jasper Booker which I assume to be the son of John Booker ages 62 listed on the 1841 census for the address of Little Busfield, parish Eynsford. Both of us didn't previously before today go any further back than Jasper, but John and Jasper are mentioned on the same census. It seems you all go a lot further back, right back to 1712.

Does anyone know for certain that Jasper (B 1801) is the son of John (B 1779) and that John is the brother of both Francis and Elizabeth. And that his Father is Francis 1749-1806 and the Grandparents would be John b 1712 and Elizabeth Durling.

Seems no one has replied since 2016, let us hope you are still there.

Peter

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

I'm still here lol, been a while since I looked at Bookers, I have no Jasper. A quick look shows:

Jasper appears on 1841 census, 1851 and in 1861 with daughter Sarah who was married to Silas Dray, he died and was buried 30 Sep 1866 in Farningham, Kent.  Sarah baptised 1 Feb 1835 to Jasper and Ann Booker in Farningham.

Unfortunately it appears he wasn't born (GRO death index has his birth 1796) but I cannot place him anywhere before 1835, name change Jasper/Joseph?  Others have placed the daughter with a Joseph Booker who married Mary Smith in 1821, although I'm not convinced. 

It is such a huge family and I know I've not added everyone so he may join somewhere.  I will add his name to my list to look for next time I visit the archives, but this may not be for some months as work gets in the way and my memory may forget (stroke broken brain), Strood Archives Centre has them on microfilm, they may be able to do a lookup for you, not sure if they charge, I know they have volunteers:

https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/results   

The above is their site which has Digitised Parish Records for the area, unfortunately they did everywhere around Eynsford but not it, but you may be lucky with other areas.

I have made a note to look out for Jasper, but forgive me if I forget.

Dee
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Fife/Mayo - McNalty