Author Topic: help look up - Matilda Ross c1868  (Read 4613 times)

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help look up - Matilda Ross c1868
« on: Wednesday 24 August 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
I have literally exhausted my online search looking for a matilda ross.  She was born in glasgow in 1868 to a james and maryann ross and then moved to ireland about 1870 with her family.  I know from her brother's wedding certificate that the family were living in lough enagh, (glendermott parish?) in 1897 and from both 1901 and 1911 censuses her brother was running a farm in stradreagh beg, lough enagh, with his wife and family, along with matilda's mam and sister.

However, she is not on either census as living there.  I cannot find a matilda ross of a suitable age (about 33 in 1901) anywhere else in northern ireland so i can only assume she either married or died by 1901.  I have tried looking at matilda's with married surnames born in scotland but to no avail as when i cross reference with familysearch website i cannot find any of these matildas having the maiden name ross.

The last record i can find of her is as a witness on her other brother's wedding certificate in 1884 (thomas ross and jeannie adair, where she was roughly 16).  Can anybody please help discover what happened to matilda ross?  Im at a loss.
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help look up - Matilda Ross c1868
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Cannot find a death for a Matilda Ross that fits (online civil registration index goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties).

In 1901 census I searched for a Matilda age 33 (+/- 5 years) born Scotland and found a Matilda McDonald with husband Edward and two sons living in Co. Dublin.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Stillorgan/Newtown_Castlebyrne/1314695
Same family in 1911 census still in Co. Dublin-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Blackrock_No__3/Stradbrook_Village/91881

Can't see a marriage for this couple in Ireland- although perhaps someone will have more luck searching- but since eldest child listed was born in Scotland perhaps they married there.

No guarantee that this is Matilda Ross but only one I could find that might be her.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 11 01:30 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org has a 13 records of a Matilda Ross getting married in Northern Ireland from 1868 to 1908......

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amatilda%20%2Bsurname%3Aross%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1868-1908%7E&marriage_place1=5%2CIreland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 August 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    There is a marriage on 22 Dec 1896 of Matilda Ross to Joseph Waterson in Glendermott 1st Presbyterian Church, Londonderry. I also cannot say that this is your Matilda.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 August 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Sorry, I think that my suggestion above is incorrect. The family seem to be on the 1901 census under the name WATTERSON. It states that Matilda was born in Londonderry.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 August 11 08:14 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I wasn'r clear in my earlier post. I checked 1901 census for a Matilda age 33 (+/- 5 years) born Scotland- 5 results (2 unmarried servants, the Matilda McDonald I mentioned earlier, and 2 others that were unlikely).

Offline my-irish-family

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 August 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for searching.  I happened to see this family aghadowey, and i will have a wee search in the scotland census, thank you.  There is a chance she may have married in scotland, or even still, moved back over there!  It may also be a case of having to visit parishes around the area they lived, as i think searching online may not find this one  :)

Thank you every one!
Glasgow: ROSS, WRIGHT, MURRAY, FALCONER
Derry: ROSS, ADAIR, COLHOUN, JOHNSTON, THOMPSON, TAIT, LOWTHER, HUSTON
Donegal: BROWN, McCLAY, GALLAGHER, MEHAFFEY (McHAFFEY), OGILBY
Tyrone: LITTLE, OGILBY,
Brisbane, Australia: ADAIR
Victoria, Australia: ROSS
Canada: COLHOUN

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 August 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
One of the McDonald children looks to have been born in Scotland- his birth certificate should list date and place of parents' marriage as well as mothers full name.

Offline c2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matilda Ross c1868
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for Matilda Ross?

I have found my family descendants tracing back to Joseph Ross and Matilda (McFarlane). Joseph and Matilda would have married around 1840s - 1850s and seem to be from the Glendermott Parish. I know that Joseph and Miltlda had a son, Joseph Alexander Ross (who moved to Scotland and married Jane or Jeannie Johnston on 5th December 1873).

Your Matilda could be? my Joseph Alexander Ross's sister? If so, get in touch and we can see how we can investigate further.

My next steps for Joseph Ross and Matilda McFarlance is to connect with the local Church.

C