Author Topic: Abraham PELLANT/PALLANT  (Read 3120 times)

Offline HelenFiddyment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham PELLANT/PALLANT
« on: Saturday 27 August 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me any pointers where I should go with this?

OH's gggrandfather was Abraham Pellant 1828 - 1890 from St Albans Abbey parish Hertfordshire. Father is listed as William on his marriage lines and I know mother was Mary Smith 1975/6 - 1871. Mary was married to Robert Pallant who died in 1823 in St Giles, London. They had 3 children, all baptised in London. I have a removal/settlement document for Mary dated 1825 returning her to St Albans. So it looks like Abraham was illegitimate. My problem is that HALs informed me that many records from this period were destroyed in WW2. I know quite a bit about Abraham's adult life as he was a prominent figure in the town, but it looks like this may be the end of the road for any research further back.

Have I hit a truly insurmountable brick wall?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Pellant/Pallant
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
His baptism shows that he was indeed illegitimate:

Abraham Pellunt bp.20/7/1828 Abbey, St. Albans, son of Mary Pellunt.

His father may indeed have been a William but not a Pallent and I would think it impossible to ever find out who he was.   He was clearly conceived back in Hertfordshire.

As to his mother Mary Smith bc.1795/6 St. Albans.

I note when she married Robert Pallent that one of the witnesses was a Sarah Smith - probably either a sister or her mother.

IGI shows a Mary Smith bp.29/3/1795 St. Stephens, St. Albans, dau. of a John and Sarah and also a sibling Sarah Smith bp.13/3/1791 which could be them.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidWard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Abraham Pellant was my ggg grandfather: Abraham Pellant > Walter Pellant > Grace Pellant = Frank Ward > Francis Louis Ward > Francis Rodney Ward > David Ward. I have come up against this problem as well and have not been able to go back further than Mary Pellant (Pellunt). Mary Pellant (Pellunt) was born Mary Smith and married Robert Pellant in 1816 at St Giles. Mary had four children by Robert before his untimely death. She then fell on hard times and was removed to her birthplace at St Albans where she had her fifth (eligitimate) child, Abraham. I assume that the father was William as described on Abraham's wedding certificate but who he was I do not know.

I have had a number of conversations with others interested, notably Barbara Willis, and as a result I have a fair amount of information on the Pellant family and naturally, the Ward family into which Grace Pellant married. I will be happy to share this information. Perhaps you could let me know how you fit in? E-Mail drward (at) tiscali.co.uk

David

Offline HelenFiddyment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Annette and David, so frustrating when you come to a dead end   :(

David, I've pm'd you

Helen