Author Topic: 1825 Riot - Allington Parish of All Cannings Wilts  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Coster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1825 Riot - Allington Parish of All Cannings Wilts
« on: Sunday 28 August 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about a riot that took place in the parish of All Cannings in 1825. A "Mr Hamlen" was assaulted.

A poster on this site has stated that they took place on Easter Sunday.

I have found an online contemporary newspaper report from July 1825 which indicates that 34 people were punished for rioting; an ancestor of mine from Allington was among them.

I believe that the Swing Riots were some years later.

Any further information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1825 Riot - Allington Parish of All Cannings Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 01:55 BST (UK) »
The only clue I've ever found may be located by tracing the name HAMLEN at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/Index/M.html

As 'tithe-holder' Mr HAMLEN would not have been a very popular gentleman when his tithes were due after poor harvests and unrest was building amongst the poorest-paid Ag labs in England who were then being deprived of their ancient 'rights of common', by which they had supplemented their meagre wages prior to enclosure .....  :-X
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Coster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply Deejay - your theory sounds like the most likely reason for the disturbance. Thank-you

Offline Coster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
The link to the court proceedings regarding this riot is:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/S&WJJul181825.html

search "Hannah Doust" within the page to go straight to the correct section.

Regards