Author Topic: Beaton / Bethune - Kilmuir, Skye  (Read 21881 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Beaton / Bethune - Kilmuir, Skye
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 April 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this entry links to Marion's parents? From 1841 in Snizort www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5efca331f4040b8393762111/alexander-bethune-1841-inverness-shire-snizort-1771-?locale=en

1851 here www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14d051f4040b9d6ed4f841/alexander-beaton-1851-inverness-shire-snizort-1774-?locale=en

Can't really see anything to fit Marion (and variants) in Snizort in 1841 so far. She could have been in another family household of course.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 April 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Thanks so much! I am stumped too. It's always possible, given Marion BEATON's advanced age at death, that her family didn't actually know her parents' proper names. It was her youngest son who gave the information and he was away from the island for some time.

The name variations don't help much. Looking for Marion/Sarah/Meron/Merrin BEATON/BETHUNE, possible daughter of Alexander BEATON/BETHUNE and Christina/Christy/Chirsty MCLEOD/MACLEOD etc. is proving a challenge! Something may pop up yet.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 April 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
A Marion "Bethune"was baptised 20 Oct 1825 she was born at Brescalan which is about 2miles west of the Old Kirk.  Alexr. Bethune/Christy McLeod

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 April 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
Well done, Don  ;)

From SP, there is also a Malm (malcolm?) showing for them in 1829 and a Mary in 1824.

Added: these entries show under variant Bethune.

Monica

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 April 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Anne, Monica and Don for your help!

It's always a good day when another new generation back can be found. This is my mother's line, on her maternal side. It was only recently discovered as there was a series of births with no father named in our native Argyll. Small family stories were built into a theory, records checked, and finally DNA confirmed my suspected biological great grandfather as a KILPATRICK (his grandmother Marion BEATON/BETHUNE), and now I am excited to learn about my Skye and other more northerly ancestors.

In addition to my own DNA data, I manage that of my Argyll born father (who also has unknown DNA links to Skye), my Canadian born son, and my Canadian born husband who has both paternal and maternal links back to Skye. I joined an Inverness project on Gedmatch to learn more. What I did NOT expect to find was that my father and my husband share a common ancestor 7+ generations ago! It would appear that my son has Skye connections at least 4 different ways, from all of his grandparents!

So I appreciate this help. :)

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 April 21 21:09 BST (UK) »
Mary, all your roads are pointing to Skye  ;)

Monica

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 April 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
Yes Monica they do, but you forgot to mention the pot holes ;D
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 April 21 21:59 BST (UK) »
 ;D