Author Topic: looking for Rice Surname  (Read 5802 times)

Offline kofeeboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • My greatgran parents Rice 1901
    • View Profile
looking for Rice Surname
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
looking for Rice family from Eglish,Ballynacard area
my great greatgran dad was Thomas rice wife (on son's baptism )E(no full name on report)NEIL.
 don't have any information on them would love more
 There son William(my greatgrandad) was born sept 1853 moved to UK in about 1884/5 as he was married in the Manchester area in 1886
 Looking for information going back on Thomas and E IE marriage parent's, sibling's and sibling's for William if he had any.
 William can to UK with Thomas Rice think his cousin and his father was Roderick Rice mother Eliza Pilkington
 any help would be grateful
 Dom
Rice Eglish(OFFALY),Rathbone(Lancashire/Cheshire)Wilson(Lancashire/Cheshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Rice Surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
There are just six Rice entries in King's County/Offaly listed on Griffith's valuation, including a possible match for William's father :

Townland : Ballynacard / Civil parish : Eglish
  Name : Thomas Rice   
  Leasing a house & Land of c3 acres from a Robert Maxwell
  Dated : August 1854

Griffith's valuation details are available at : Griffiths Valuation   (AskAboutIreland.com)

The Griffith's website is not working correctly for me at the moment, but you can view the townland on the 1st edition OSI map at : this link (click the 6" historic option)

It looks like site 4 where Thomas lived was close the this point, possibly in one of the buildings shown beside the road.

The townland of Ballynacard and civil parish of Eglish are in the RC parish, also named Eglish. Baptism records for the parish go back to 1809, with some gaps, and marriages go back to 1819. There are also some records kept in this parish of burials. The records are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilm Pos. 4175, and some transcripts for the parish also seem to be included in the records on www.rootsireland.ie  (pay-website)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kofeeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for map I always want to see were about Ballynacard was
I would love to find more on my Rice line I have got my greatgrandads Baptism record from the website you sent in message but i can't find marriage for his parents and I live in UK so getting too see microfilm is hard but if you come across any more info that may be my Rice line I would be grateful if you would send to me
Once again THANKS
Dom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
It's possible that Thomas's marriage was in a different parish - or even a different county. You can work out the neighbouring parishes on the RC parish map on the Irish Times website - see : RC Parishes, Co. Offaly

Some of the neighbouring parishes dont have records back far enough to include a possible marriage - e.g. records for the parish of Seirkieran only go back to 1870

A small part of the parish also borders Co. Tipperary..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kofeeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane
it still hard for me to find marriage for Thomas as mother of William down as follows
Church Baptism Record

Name: William Rice
  Date of Baptism 01-Sep-1853
  Parish : Eglish
  County : Offaly
  Denomination: RC 
  Father: Thomas Rice
  Mother: E. Neil

Sponsor 1 :   / Sponsor 2

got this from the Irish web site mentioned before
any more help would be more than welcome
Dom :) ;)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
There's only one Thomas Rice marriage that shows up on in the index of RootsIreland between 1833 and 1853, and that's in 1836. It seems to be in the RC parish of Eglish. Using the advanced search you can see that the brides surname is doesn't match Neill or O'Neill, so probably not your William's marriage..

There is another Thomas Rice marriage listed in the parish in 1830 - might be a little early..again wife's surname doesn't seen to be Neill or O'Neill

It looks like there may be other children born to the couple in the same area .. about 3 I think. Maybe one of these would give a more complete name for William's mother..

It's very important to remember that it's very possible that the marriage took place in a parish where the records dont do back far enough, or during a gap in the records.. so there's no guarantee that a record still exists.

Shane
My Surname Interests