Author Topic: John Sewell born preston lancs  (Read 2006 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Sewell born preston lancs
« on: Friday 18 June 04 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a birth in preston lancs abt 1828 the family worked in the cotton inds. so they seemed to moove between Preston & Carlisle as all the kids are born in different places I am looking for my Ggrandfather birth 1828-1829 preston Lancs anyone know where church records would be kept for the arear it is not one the IGI but his elder brother is but he was born Carlisle
audrey

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:John Sewell born preston lancs
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 04 14:42 BST (UK) »

The IGI has been compounded by contibutors, so sometimes it will contain all entries for a parish, or more often, a subset of it.

Go to www.familysearch.org, perform a search on the "Family history library catalog". Putting in Preston (Lancs) will return what records they hold on film/fiche.

You would have to order these from a local centre, OR, if you are local to Preston, they will probably be in the local history reference section. It's also worth trying to find the local history society website as they sometimes index baptisms prior to 1837.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.