Author Topic: English/German family in French Canada, 1830-1870  (Read 13621 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: English/German family in French Canada, 1830-1870
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 September 11 03:50 BST (UK) »
This site has David SEE (born Bef 1754-d. Abt 1822)
parents Joost "Joseph SEE & Esther  GARDENIER
has him married to Magdalena "Leanan" SNYDER
Of course site owners need to be contaced to confirm sources...
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/thrise/1421/9239.htm

Agents to the Hercules and British America ...David See, Sorel.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=AcMpAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA23&lpg=RA1-PA23&dq=David+See+sorel

adding another
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SEE/1998-07/0899493790

and this site has wife as Magdelena Snyder / eight children listed
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=dsee&id=I7299

The Catherine born to David married William FALKNER
The first son's children not listed, and second son had a Catherine...but born c.1811
One has to be careful as there may have abeen a catherine in many of the 3 Sea sons families... ;D hehe

So could be an unknown  child of John the brother, or one of his sons...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 September 11 04:57 BST (UK) »
There was another son, Herman?  http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SEE/1998-10/0909347255
Also Joost had a brother Isaac, so may want to make sure he wasn't in the UEL equation

You may be looking for Zie & Sie as well...
 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dsee&id=I1537

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 September 11 05:08 BST (UK) »
Sleepy hollow ZIE & Sie marriages !! Use "find on page to see them...
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rbillard/sleepy_hollow_marriages.htm

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 September 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Wow  :o  Thank you for all this - I'll be a while going through it all.  I had seen the Hudson Valley Sees website, but the rest is new to me.  After I made my previous post, I realized that my Catherine may not have been David's daughter, but David's son John's daughter.  I had originally thought this was not the case, because several of her siblings were born in Ontario, but I realized that it was not unreasonable for her to return to marry John Weightman as the two locations are connected by the Saint Lawrence River.  Plus the families did probably know each other.  Also, it seems that Hugh Weightman ended up in East Gwillimbury, Ontario as indicated by the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 September 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
I just found the following baptisms of children of John and Mary Weightman in Norwell and Carlton on Trent, Nottingham, England:

Rebeccah - 5/31/1779
John - 10/8/1781
Willm. - 10/3/1784
Mary - 9/28/1788
Thomas - 4/25/1792
Sarah - 1793
Hugh - 2/5/1797
Ann - 2/23/1800

I know the names are all rather common, but I also noticed that the birth years for Hugh and John of Sorel match pretty exactly.  Plus there was a brother named Thomas which matches what I know (assuming of course that the Sorel Weightman's were siblings).  Does anyone know any more about this family?

EDIT: It seems that there was also a substantial Elvidge family in the same area, so I think I may be on the right track.

Offline sword

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 19:28 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the PM I sent 21 Nov, Samuel PERRY, superior officer, led a group of about twenty Loyalists and changed location by Jul 7 1777. Samuel PERRY was from Palmertown, previously  in Albany Co. and later in Saratoga Co., NY. The group included James SEE and Philip SNYDER. When the Loyalists left Saratoga for British North America their possible destination was a blockhouse on the south shore of Lac St Pierre near Riviere Du Chene and near Sorel, PQ. The journey took seventeen days and covered two hundred miles, arriving 3 Nov [year not given clearly but may be deduced from other facts, possibly 1778]. The family bible of Dorcas WATCHMAN says she was born 7 Sep 1779. Dorcas WATCHMAN, spinster, m. 6 Jul 1795 at St Peter's Church, Ernestown, ON to Joseph PETERS, bachelor. William WATCHMAN, son of Joseph and Dorcas, d. Centerville, Camden Twp., Lennox & Addington Co., ON, children b. Moscow, Camden Twp. Hannah GORDANIER, daughter of Jacob UE m. Peter MATHIS. Some GORDANIER descendants use the surname GARDNER. The term, "spinster" would be a polite reference that someone was not a widow, married or divorced.

Offline GPicard74

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 December 13 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english. I'm much better in french.

My name is Ghislain Picard, i'm 39 and i was born at St-Marcel-de-Richelieu, small village neighbor of this other small village of St-Hugues (St-Hugues-de-Bagot).

My back back grandfather was Adolphe Picard that you mention 2 years ago. It's because i make some research about his first wife Sara that i found this thread that you wrote. I don't know, two years later, if you'll see this post.

For your information, the complete last name of Adolphe was Destroismaisons-Picard. He changed it to Picard-Destroismaisons and after, like many other Picard in the area of St-Hugues, they choosed to short it and only used Picard.

With my research, i found that Adolphe was born january 18 1839 and baptized january 20 1839 at the small city of St-Hyacinthe, 15 miles at the south of St-Hugues, following the Yamaska river. Adolphe's father was Charles (my back back back grandfather) and his mother was Edwidge/Hedwidge Valin.

Adolphe married Sara/Sarah/Saraly/Marie-Sara Withman (yes, found 4 differents first names about the same girl) june 17 1860 at the Christ's Church of Sorel City, a city on the south shore of the big St-Lawrence river, 29 miles at north-west of St-Hugues. I don't know why they go so far just to get married, but i have the feeling it's because the local priest didn't accept to marry them about the Sara's religion, language or origin.

I didn't found when she died, but april 14 1863, always at St-Hugues, Adolphe married a second wife, Marguerite Proulx, born in 1843.

Just before, Sara and Adolphe had a baby girl at march 30 1861 and baptized april 2 1861 at St-Hugues. Her first name was the same of her mother, Marie-Sara Picard. Her godfather was André Bélanger and her godmother was Julie Lefebvre. But it's all information that i found about this baby.

About the old paper scanned that you post here was wrote by the priest of St-Hugues. I can read that's about a baby boy without first name, dead at his birth, august 30 1843, baptized and go the same day at the cimetery of St-Hugues. Child from Jon Witman (farmer) and Catherine Sey, also living at St-Hugues, with the name of two witness.

Adolphe always lived at St-Hugues until he died at 73 years old, june 25 1911, going to the St-Hugues cimetery june 28 1911. He had 12 other childs with his second wife. The latest was my back grandfather Philippe, born october 27 1884 and baptized 2 days later.

Now, i'll read and try to understand all your posts to found some informations about his first wife Sara. But just for your information, about your post of the Ancestry web site, Adèle Ménard and John Withman/Wicheman seems they had 6 childs, no William, all at St-Hugues:
http://www.cjutras.org/CJ_WICHEMAN-J.html#F157255
But they have some missing people on these website.

Bye bye

Ghislain Picard

The image of the 1861 census was on *Ancestry*. Unfortunately, the 1861 census is the only one not available for free through the Canadian National Archives. How did you access the Drouin Collection record you posted? If you have that access on line you should get the 1861 census as well.

Or if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition you would have access to the image that way. Also, some Family History Centers (the familysearch folks) subscribe as well.

That said ....

Line 36 on page 150 is a Jack Witman 32 Anglican Farmer married to Adele Menard 22 Roman Catholic.

John, Cath, and Ann are on lines 44, 45, and 46.

Then did you note that line 47 has an Adolphe Picard 23 Farmer married to Sara Witman 17? They are noted as having married within the past year (something like that).

The screen is bouncing ... I will continue.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 December 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello GPicard and a warm welcome to RootsChat.

I have had another look through the Drouin Collection and have found the burial record for Sara.

At Christ Church Anglican in Sorel...

Marie Sarah, wife of Adolphe Destroismaisons dit Picard, of the Parish of St Hughes, aged 17 years, died on the 24th and was buried on the 29th of February 1862.
Present at the burial were Adolphe, Catherine Weightman, and a third person I'm having trouble reading the name of. I think the last name of the third person might be Weightman as well, first name possibly John.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 December 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ghislain,

Thank you for the additional information.

I am confident that my great great grandfather William Whitman was the son of John and Adele.  His death record indicates his parents as John Whitman and Adele Maynard, and he also appears in their family on the 1871 and 1881 Saint-Hugues census.

I have confirmed that John, Thomas, and Hugh were from the Norwell and Carlton on Trent family that I mentioned a few posts ago.  The book Seeking a Better Future: The English Pioneers of Ontario and Quebec, cites a parish record indicating this:

NTRO PR7347: Carlton-on-Trent Parish records.  The emigrants included Mary Weightman and her four children (John, Thomas, Hugh, and Ann) and three grandchildren (John's children); Jonathan Selby and his wife and six children; Thomas Marrot and family; and John Batterby and family.

I also acquired a copy of the will of John Weightman (the father of John, Thomas, and Hugh).  It seems he died around April, 1828, and left everything to his wife Mary.