Author Topic: Apprentices' Indentures - Double Duty  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Apprentices' Indentures - Double Duty
« on: Friday 02 September 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
On the "UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811" records on Ancestry I have found that some Masters have been charged "Double Duty" for the apprentice indenture.

Why were some charged double duty and others not?
Did this relate to the occupation, employment of a relative or location of the job?

How much was the tax and how was it calculated in the 1750's?

If anyone has any other info about the Apprentice's Indentures that would be a great bonus.

Thanks

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentices' Indentures - Double Duty
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:46 BST (UK) »
A few days ago I was reading about this...and now (as usual  ::) ) I can't find where I read it. But I remember that the duty was only for masters who charged their apprentices. The masters were charged at a rate of 6d per £1. The registers on Ancestry give the exact amount charged by the master, and his tax paid.

I think - but am not completely sure - that double duty was charged for late payment. There was probably other reasons it was charged as well.

Alexander

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 11 07:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Di

Ah ... I hadn't worked out what DD next to a master's name meant. Thanks for the double duty.

British Origins have a page of information about their London Apprenticeship Abstracts which explains a lot:

http://www.origins.net/help/aboutbo-lonapps.aspx

:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
A few days ago I was reading about this...and now (as usual  ::) ) I can't find where I read it. But I remember that the duty was only for masters who charged their apprentices. The masters were charged at a rate of 6d per £1. The registers on Ancestry give the exact amount charged by the master, and his tax paid.

I think - but am not completely sure - that double duty was charged for late payment. There was probably other reasons it was charged as well.

Alexander

Thanks for this info - I'd forgotten that some masters actually charged their apprentices. It makes sense that they'd be the ones to pay the tax.

If the DD was because of late payment then a lot of my lot were notoriously bad at paying their taxes as they seemed to be hit with double duty on a regular basis.  ;D

Thanks Koromo for the Origin link. It provides a little further information that was most useful.

Cheers
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk