Author Topic: Purves /Berwick on Tweed  (Read 7052 times)

Offline johnmberry34ridley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Purves /Berwick on Tweed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 November 13 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I think I have at last found my Jane ? None of the Jane Robertson`s suggested fitted the bill, so I checked all my census forms again and noticed that one or two of the children had Lorrains as a middle name.Searched for a Jane Lorraine and found a marriage in Duns, Berwickshire for a William Purves and Jane Lorrains in 1808. All the children`s dates fitted with the other Jane,but had no evidence to prove.Then I had a stroke of luck. Berwick Reg Office have been great in helping me find my G Grandparents  and GG Grandparents and in the North Road cemetery, Berwick on Tweed.I went down to lay flowers on their graves , and decided to have a look for other Purves graves. Just a few yards away I struck gold !

A headstone had William Purves  and Jane Lorraine , his widow.
          Also his eldest son William and his wife Jane (Hedley). Jane is interred in Edinburgh,
          The dates all match up with the d certs I have for them so I am pretty sure
         I have the right one . Father , son and grandson all within a few yards of each
         other is looking good for this being the family .
         William and Jane had a daughter Alice married William Hope . His name is on Jane
         Hedley`s d cert. all living in Edinburgh.
        Thanks to all who gave advice  suggestions .
          Evelyn

Offline marwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 November 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me solve a puzzle.  I am looking for the parents of Jane Robertson my 4x Great Grandmother b 1783/4 in Scotland.She married William Purves b 1788, shoemaker, Berwick on Tweed,Northumberland. On the 1851 census for England the family is listed as ...........

William Purves   head   63   Formerly shoemaker   b Berwick
Jane Purves     wife      67                                       b Scotland
John Purves      son      23   Shoemaker                 b Berwick
Allan   Purves    son      16    Paper  Packer?        b Berwick

Other children left home /married.
Ann b1818   m Alexander Hope
William b 1812  m Jane Hedley
Alex b 1836
Jane  b 1810
 James   b 1818
Margaret  b 1814

I did have a record of a Jane Robertson b 1789 Cupar Fife,but I have since learned from a descendant of her family in Australia that this is not the case.The descendant has a family bible with this family`s members recorded in it .Also the birth dates don`t` match up.So I am pretty sure she is not mine.
Unfortunately the birth place given is Scotland ,which is not really helpful.
I have found two Jane Robertsons  for 1783/4 ,one in Ayton , Berwickshire.the other in Perth.
Any help would be much appreciated

Evelyn   

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 November 13 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have had a couple of replies but I can`t seem to see them .

From Marwell and johnberry  today . Can`t work out if it is me !

Evelyn

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
The two replies are both first time posters (maybe the same person with two registrations), I've had that a couple of times on threads. The replies just quote the post from Saturday 03 September 11 06:53 BST.

Reading through the thread I'm astounded you found the graves, I have been trying for years to locate a plot at North Road Berwick, I viewed the burial register at the archives, was given a mobile number of the parks department manager, emailed the council on numerous occasions and phoned the offices without success. I have the plot number, just nothing to indicate where it is, as the plot and three adjacent to it are unmarked it's impossible to know where to look.

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Glen ,
Is there any way to let the first timers know what to do ,like a PM ?
Re. the plots .We visited the Archives personally ,Linda Bankier is great at helping you find plots. .The Archives are only open Wednesday and Thursday , restricts visits a bit .
Evelyn

Offline jaycee777

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 December 18 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am probably of no help in this situation, but I noted your post as I just discovered my fathers family goes back to (so many) John Purves, and one of the John Purves I got to was a shoemaker in Berwick on Tweed. I am interested in what information you have come across. I live in New Zealand, my father I don't see but his name is Anthony Purves, his brother and sister are John Purves and Margaret Armstrong (re Purves) Norman was married to Phyllis Couch. I was told in my Grandfather's last days that there is/was Romani Gypsy heritage so I was looking into it all and came across John the Shoemaker. I am struggling to find much to be honest.