Author Topic: Anderson family, Ballyshannon  (Read 27821 times)

Offline winnipeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson family, Ballyshannon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 December 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty
Did you ever get the marriage cert for Thomas and Catherine Anderson like Joe had suggested? If so, what were the parents names?
Based on what I could determine they were Thomas (b-1809/10, d-?) and Eliz(a) Allingham (b-1810, d-1885) married in 1835. They had at least 3 children, Thomas (b-1843, d-1903, Ann (d-1851,d-?), William (b-1854, d-?) I found this data under Richard Allingham info
I have also guessed at there parents being Thomas (b-1780, d-1834) and Elizabeth Earles (b-1785, d-1832) of Drumcliff, Sligo. They had 3 children Catherine (b-1808, d-?), Thomas (b-1809/10, d-?) and John (b-1812, d-?). I based it on the ages, names and the fact it fits the time frame.
I can't seem to find any records of deaths and/or burials which should be around Ballyshannon.

Dave

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 December 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
"Did you ever get the marriage cert for Thomas and Catherine Anderson like Joe had suggested? If so, what were the parents names?"

As I stated earlier-

Irish marriage certificates list fathers' names and occupations- mothers' details are not included.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 December 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner! I was so excited to get your post. My husbands grandfather was Robert George Anderson brother of William David and his mother was Kathleen. So she and your wife's father were cousins and your wife and my husband Trevor are second cousins, how exciting! We would love any info you have on the Anderson family as my search has been limited to what I have found online. What i found amazing that both William Anderson and Robert have named 4 of their 5 children the same names!
Robert and his wife Rebecca Jane moved to Belfast in Northern Ireland with their 5 children but she died in 1929 aged 44 leaving a young family.
Thank you for contacting me, Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 December 11 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Ballyshannon but brought up in England
you can still excess the Ballyshannon site by going through google of ask jeeves
Type in the search box - Growing up in Ballyshannon, then look down the list for Paddy Donagher

1939/40 Electrol list Mabel and Mary Anderson living at THe Mall

Offline winnipeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 December 11 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Great Danagher website.
Do you have any idea what happened to Robert George's sister Kate or brother John? or where they might be buried?
Also where are Great Grandfather and Mother buried. There is a grave in Ballyshannon (St Anne Church I think) for a Catherine Moore Anderson (b-1906,d-1958) but the age and dates don't seem to match. It is also in the same gravesite as Alexander (b-1877, d-1950), George (b-1907, d-1959), Robert (b-1938, d-200) and Kathleen Anderson (b-1906, d-2000) These could be related based on the similiar first names. Dave

Offline winnipeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 December 11 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I was updating my family history with your data that Rebecca Jane died in 1929 at age 44 but something doesn't add up. This would mean she was born in 1885.
1901 census there is a Rebecca Black born in 1883 and another Rebecca Jane Black born in 1895. In 1911 census there is a Rebecca Anderson age 28 married to John and Rebecca Jane  age 16 in Londonderry living with her Dad and Brother John William working as a book keeper.
I would assume the Rebecca Jane age 16 is the same one that returned to Ballyshannon in 1913 at age 18 to marry Robert George. She would have been only 34 in 1929 when she died
Dave

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 11 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Rebecca Jane Black married Robert George Anderson July-Sept 1913. According to the Familysearch website she was born Apr-June 1882 and I found her death at the general records office in Belfast.
On the 1911 census Robert George Anderson was living at 16 Mall Street, Ballyshannon, single, aged 25, Carpenter Master.
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 December 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I think Rebecca Jane is on the 1901/1911 census daughter of William and Kate Black.
Catherine Anderson is on the 1911 census as Katie and is living with David and Nellie Anderson and their son Thomas at 16 Legaltan (Ballyshannon)
according to a previous post she died in 1958 aged 80!
I couldn't find John on the 1911 census.
I have no further info and no one to ask! I will at some stage make the trip to Ballyshannon!

Offline winnipeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
The Katie Anderson you refer to is a sister of Trevors great Grandfather. She was born Nov 8-9, 1878. She is also known as Kate which is the name in the church register.
some info from the church records
Thomas Anderson married Catherine Moore  on Aug 7, 1878
Kate was born Nov 8-9, 1878, John was born Jan 2, 1881, William David was born Dec 14, 1882 and Robert George was born on July 13, 1885
In the 1901 census the daughter Kate is at home but as Catherine. The mother had died in 1887. In the 1911 census they have moved from 14 Legaltan to #16. Kate is home but the father  is gone (died in 1903) and so is John and Robert George (you indicated they moved to Belfast) . The house at #16 is now occupied by William David, his wife Nellie and new son Thomas. Also Katie (Kate) and boarders Mary Irving and John McClay. Unfortunately I only wrote down some info on Robert George family. I believe all the children were baptized in St. Anne Church
of interest: William David and Nellie McGhee were married Dec 15, 1909 and I believe Robert George was "Best Man" as he signed the register as a witness as did Nellie's sister Martha

Dave