Author Topic: Ian Burns McGUIRE  (Read 4331 times)

Offline MrMouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Burns McGUIRE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My name is Iain McGuire. I have information about Ian Burns McGuire who traveled to Australia with his wife Edith Annie McGuire on the Otranto arriving 1949. He was fomerly of Glasgow and first lived at 36 Cumberland Ave Collaroy, Sydney.
He is my father.
I believe you haven't posted here for a while so don't know if you'll get this msg.
Regards.

Offline Fifers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,Thank you for your reply,I would just like to confirm we have the correct Ian Burns McGuire,I have my Fathers Birth certificate dated 7/14/1939, with Father named as above Chartered accountants Clerk living at 533 Castlemilk road,Glasgow  he was not married to my Grandmother Isabella Sorbie Mcvey,also on my parents wedding cert father named Ian Burns McGuire,no further information except we heard he had gone to Australia,my Father was not aware of his true fathers identity until he got married then his mother told him but no further information.if you are happy its the same person please get in touch again,any information would be a help and also there is a strange coincidence if we are related :)...Many thanks Regards Barbara
Steedman,Cockburn,Sorbie Mcvey,Burns Mcguire,williamson,Kirk,Barrett,Beveridge,moodie,Skinner

Offline MrMouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
As expected I was quite shocked to Google my dad's name in relation to looking for war medals and to find a post by yourself on Rootschat!
I'd need to do some research to determine if in fact we do have the same Ian Burns McGuire. My father never spoke much about his past except for childhood anecdotes. I know he grew up in Glasgow, not far from Queens Park. I'll check some info with my sister and see what we can come up with. He was born in Glasgow 09/05/1914 to his father James. He met my mother Edith Annie Downes in Blackpool around 1941 before going to India until the end of WW2. His father (James) was injured in WW1 via mustard gas. I'll check what info I can at mum's house which we're about to clean out as she passed away 18 months ago. He may have been born John McGuire.
Regards,
Iain McGuire

Offline Fifers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 10:31 BST (UK) »
HI Iain,
Well from what you said today and my research yesterday it would appear we have the same person, I found your dad's Birth cert John Burns McGuire 9th May 1914 7 Rannoch st Glasgow,I knew about the Scottish Ian /john names being born in Glasgow,(but grew up mostly overseas), Father James Clark M McGuire Colliery Clerk,Mother Bridget McGrath married 12 August 1903 Paisley, they moved to Cathcart which is indeed just up the road from Queens and area I am very familiar with,James was a Sgt in Scottish Rifles service no 36640,there are other records on Ancestry ,but I always search Scotlands People which is my Bible as I can view the original certs...
I found your parents marriage and there are other records for them also.
I am sure it must have been a bit of a shock as it was for me after all this time for someone to reply to my original post,would you like my Email address to continue our research in a more private forum ?
Regards
Barbara :)
Steedman,Cockburn,Sorbie Mcvey,Burns Mcguire,williamson,Kirk,Barrett,Beveridge,moodie,Skinner

Offline MrMouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

This is fascinating! :D What relation does that make you to me?
My e mail is (*)
I've done very little research on any ancestry but may well take a closer look now.
I'm interested to find out about you and your life.
Send me an e mail so we can catch up.
Kind regards,
Iain.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail addresses removed in accordance with RootsChat policy , to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php