Author Topic: Telephone directory 1950  (Read 40261 times)

Offline persian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Telephone directory 1950
« Reply #153 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
No problem I used Ancestry they have the biggest data base. You can also upload the test results from them to FTDNA and My Heritage.
I think for those with no or little paperwork it’s the only way to go.

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
gerryk, my partner's grandparents married in their local church in the 1920's but there was no record of their cert online or at the registrars office. It turned out the church made some mistake & didn't send on the details. It only came to light when an uncle's name was being added to the house deeds in the 1980's. So the marriage was only registered in the 1980's.

i heard another case from the 1970's - a couple divorcing about 10 years ago & they found their marriage was not registered. They had to go back to the church to get it sorted.

Almost everything went through the local parish years ago, would the actual parish or cemetery records have any information for the couple you are researching? Maybe that's a long shot though 😕

Offline tony3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sunday 14 April 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All, my situation is I was born in 24 Ormond Road Drumcondra Dublin 3 in 1951 and was given out to foster parents from 540 North Circular Road at two weeks old approx. On my birth certificate my father and mother are stated as being married, but I have not been able to trace a marriage cert.I traced my father to his  home in Killarney( although his christian name is not the same on my birth cert but the surname is) through DNA. I am hoping for some help from his family, as it looks like we do not have the same mother. At this stage I am trying to get some information on my mother.
Has anyone any idea on this site where the files are for 24 Ormond Road or 540 N C Rd?
Thank you in advance

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Sunday 14 April 19 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi. I researched Rose Farrell’s family for records and I think there are no files kept for 540 NCR. It was a private home. I don’t think they were obliged to keep records back then.
Like you, I found that DNA was the only route that worked. I’m surprised that even your father’s surname was on the cert. In the case I was examining ( from 1936) all the information was completely falsified.
Regards
And good luck
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline tony3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sunday 14 April 19 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Gerry, yes I know I have a lot of information to go on. So annoying though that these files could just be discarded. We are entitled to know who we are. Birth and baptismal official documents were, as you say falsified, love to know who was responsible for that.
Thanks again
Tony3

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:58 BST (UK) »
I just came across a petition to give rights of identity to Irish adoptees. It's on https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/give-identity-rights-to-adoptees-in-ireland//

I am not connected to the website or the originators of the campaign in any way. the petition may be of interest to some posters on this forum.

also interesting tweets by Claire mcgettrick who campaigns for adoptee rights in ireland, https://mobile.twitter.com/cmcgettrick/status/1079409230178848768,

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Deleted

Offline mms

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Monday 26 August 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
24 Ormond Road Drumcondra Dublin 3 in 1951 and was given out to foster parents from 540 North Circular Road.   My mother had her son at the same place.  They were both sent to 540 North Circular Road as well!  They stayed for 1 month and then he was given up for adoption.  He was born in July 17, 1952. 

Offline Michael Spillane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
107 Marlborough road is on my mums birth certificate with the name violet Rooney
Can anyone help with any info on this please
Many thanks