Author Topic: Telephone directory 1950  (Read 40130 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Telephone directory 1950
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
107 Marlborough road is on my mums birth certificate with the name violet Rooney
Can anyone help with any info on this please
Many thanks

Welcome to RootsChat
I can't see anything in the Newspapers to indicate it was anything other than an ordinary house. A Stuart B Rooney aged 72 died there in 1956, I can't immediately see his death cert but there is a Stuart Bertram Campbell Rooney, Engraver in the 1911 Census who goes on to marry Violet Mabel Carter in 1914. Their son got an OBE from Queen Elizabeth in 1966. Violet M Rooney appears to have died by 1980 she is named on a list of Estates in the newspaper with an address of Marlborough Road.

Added: Will Calendar gives her address as 107 Marlborough Road and date of death as 18 March 1980. Death notice confirms she was the widow of Stuart B Rooney. Buried in Mount Jerome.

Offline Michael Spillane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
I’m assuming that violet Rooney was a friend of my grandmother her name was violet ethel o’rourke
My mother’s fathers name is not on her birth certificate and we have no info on him
My mother said that she thinks they stayed in an home for unmarried mothers and it was called the jinky, have info on that either

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Monday 27 July 20 01:33 BST (UK) »
Mrs R (Redacted), address 107 Marlborough Rd.
This is in the list of Institutions, Agencies & Individuals compiled by adoption rights during the mother & baby homes investigation. So it may have been a private nursing /maternity home.

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. My interest in this thread has been re-activated by the recent report on Mother and Baby Homes. While that report was about public homes, there were others, as we know.

It seems to us that there was a network of private homes, for those who could pay. Through this thread, we certainly know of three in Dublin alone. These were separate from the State system. Despite the legal requirement to register births etc... many details given in and by these homes after birth were false.

The one that interested us was Rose Farrell's at 340 North Circular Road.

Our story:
Through Ancestry DNA, we were able to trace the life of a baby boy born there in 1936. He was baptized shortly after birth in the Pro-Cathedral, and the informant was the same Rose Farrell. Every single detail given to the church was false - child's name, parent's names (they were stated to be married - even the "wife's" maiden name was given), occupation, place of origin. There was no clue whatsoever in the information that was given about who the child really was.

In fact, the boy, and his descendants now bear the surname given to him falsely by Rose Farrell. His birth was only registered in the State many years later, in 1951 ("on the direction of the Registrar General"). We are not sure what prompted this late registration. But, it does seem to indicate that  abiding by the law was not high on the agenda of the home.

After birth, he was given/fostered/ sent to a private house not far from the North Circular Road. There were other similar children in that house, so this may have been a regular occurrence. No records exist for any monetary transactions. We have no idea what the arrangement with the householder was.

When he was aged 8, the child was sentenced for the crime of "receiving alms", and sent to Artane Industrial School for seven years. On admittance his physique was described as "below average". He had two decayed teeth, enlarged tonsils and adenoids. He was "physically very poor", with a scar on his back, and had had a broken arm.
(We have learned since that the advantage of children being sentenced in the courts was that the State was now financially liable for the boy.)

Upon release, he returned to the house from which he came, where he was monitored for a number of years (possibly a type of probation). While there, he went to Rose Farrell's home to find out information about his birth and his family, but he was turned away.

Later he went to England, married, had a family, lived happily, and died early this century not knowing anything about his background.

We have since found out, through DNA matching, who his father was. We are still not sure about his mother.

All of Rose Farrell's records have disappeared.

Given this story, we have no confidence that those records exist at all anymore, or that they were given to the HSE or any State body. These homes were for those who could pay. It was a private arrangement. So, there was probably an additional layer of "discretion" or secrecy available that would have not been possible in a State-run system. At least in State homes, the original details of the confinement would have needed to be accurate. The question now is whether they have been made available.

We would love to be proved wrong about the private homes. Maybe Rose Farrell's descendants kept the records, and might now release them. However, this is unlikely.
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Annette Ashe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Nurse Gallagher
« Reply #167 on: Saturday 10 December 22 21:29 GMT (UK) »
It cost  70 pounds to attend 78 Lwr. Drumcondra Road to have your baby in 1948.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse Gallagher
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

I am looking for the correct topic to attach your reply too :)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have the correct topic.

;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lc1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse Gallagher
« Reply #170 on: Monday 02 January 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
It cost  70 pounds to attend 78 Lwr. Drumcondra Road to have your baby in 1948.

Very interesting information Annette for anyone researching private nursing homes. That was a lot of money in those days as the average industrial wage for males in 1948 was approx Ir£4.4s.0d according to the statistics and about half that for females - that £70 would have been about 15 or 16 weeks wages  :'(   :'(

Anybody know if there was a similar charge in the maternity hospitals? Maybe that's why a lot of babies were born at home in those days.

That £4.4shillings was probably for a 40 or 45 hour week - approx 6 or 7 Euro today.