Author Topic: George Barnett 1867 (kent)  (Read 3501 times)

Offline 1Linda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Barnett 1867 (kent)
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm having problems finding a birth for my great grandfather George Barnett 1867, in the census of 1901 and 1911 it is saying he was born in Tunbridge Wells. I know from his marriage certificate that his father is also George Barnett.

I cannot locate George Barnett 1867 on the 1891 census but this is possibly because he was away at sea as I know at that time he was a mariner. He also married Alice Bright from Kenton, Devon in Kenton February 1890.

If you have any info on my great grandfather George Barnett 1867 can you please post on here.

Many Thanks 

Linda

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Barnett 1867 (kent)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
What does George give occupation as upon marriage -and what was his father's occupation??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
There is some more informaton on the marriage here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,75419.msg4062741.html#msg4062741

Linda, who were the marriage witnesses - could either of those have been a relative of George?

I'm struggling to find anything :-\

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 1Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coastguards and Mariners
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had to search for a coast guard or mariner. I have been on The National Archive site and from what I can make out, I need to have, for mariner a name of one ship that they served on and for coast guard one station they served. I don’t have either all I know is that my great grandfather George Barnett 1867 was a mariner and my late father said he was a mariner for 11 years, and I am presuming that he finished as a mariner not long after his wedding, on his marriage certificate 1890 his occupation is mariner. On the 1901 census he is living in Wales as a miner. I have not been able to find any info on him before his marriage as yet.

His wedding certificate has taken me back to his father also a George Barnett occupation coastguard and he is deceased. I am presuming that this George Barnett was also a mariner at some point as having read up about coastguards of the time they were recruited from the navy/marines.

So basically has anyone had to search for an ancestor in either the merchant navy or coastguard with no other info than a name, thank you

From his 

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coastguards and Mariners
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had to search for a coast guard or mariner. I have been on The National Archive site and from what I can make out, I need to have, for mariner a name of one ship that they served on and for coast guard one station they served.

Hello 1Linda,

Not necessarily so. FindMyPast has several types of mariners' records. Do you have access? 

The CLIP website has (free online) 29 records for George Barnetts who were mariners.
Here is the link:
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/crew?target=Barnett&SearchType=Exact&initial=George&dob=&submit=search

RootsChatters could help if you will give a bit more information. Your GG George Barnett - was he born in 1867 or died then - which? What date and where?

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
These are two websites I have used in the past, so can't vouch for them recently, but give them a go.  There are some useful links too.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/news.php

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
I have researched a couple of coastguards - they happened to be brothers. One served in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War, before returning to his posting as a coastguard.  Prior to becoming a coastguard, he had served on a fishing boat. The other served on various revenue ships throughout his career.  As far as I know, he never served in the Royal Navy itself. This is a bit before your man's time.

However, where was George Barnett born?  It might be that if you can find him with his family in a census, it would provide a starting point to look for the places where his father might have served as a coastguard.  It can be time-consuming and cause a great deal of eye-strain, but the coastguard records are available free as part of the digital microform records of TNA and can be downloaded - beware the files are huge.  But they are not indexed.  If just a single coastguard station can be found for George senior then his service can be pieced together.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
I think it is fairly safe to assume he was born in 1867. I note he was married in 1890 so that would make him 23 when he was wed.
If he was a mariner for 11 years that would make him 12-13 when he first went to sea. Not unheard of at the time.
No Central register of Merchant Seamen were kept between 1857 and 1913. The Board of Trade, in it's wisdom, decided that the information contained in logbooks and crew agreements, would suffice. So the info from FindMyPast wil not cover him. Likewise the Clip info.
There is  one comprehensive  data base of crew agreements on line for this period and that only covers  the year 1881. He is not there. I also searched the Swansea Mariner database. Same result.
Are you certain he was a Merchant Seaman? Have you considered that he may have been in the Royal Navy at some time?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_fn=George&_ln=Barnett&_ser=ADM%20188&id=C1897
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline 1Linda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
I have just done a long reply to your questions so far but it seems to have disappeared into cyber space I will redo it after dinner