Author Topic: George Barnett 1867 (kent)  (Read 3500 times)

Offline 1Linda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Barnett 1867 (kent)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:27 BST (UK) »
I think my reply is on here after but I will double check later.

I haven’t as yet done a search on Royal Navy.

Marriage certificate for George Barnett Junior and Alice Bright occupation is mariner, his father name on the marriage certificate is

Also a George Barnett occupation coast guard deceased

Witnesses are Alice Bright’s father and I believe the other witness is her sister

Offline 1Linda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed

Not sure when he finished his career as a mariner but it was after his wedding, on the 1891 census I can find him but I have found Alice so I presume him to be at sea.

No I have not searched any navy records as yet as my late father thought his grandfather was a merchant mariner. Until I brought George and Alice birth certificate no in the recent family new anything about George Barnett senior

Thanks for your help everyone

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 April 21 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Another angle I forgot to mention this morning is the newspapers. I found quite a bit there about one of my coastguard rellies. Coastguardmen were sometimes called as witnesses at inquests and  at BoT (Board of Trade) inquiries into ship losses.

A subscription to FindMyPast includes access to the BNA (British Newspaper Archive) but you can also get a short term subscription to just it.
Here's the link:
https//www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/account/subscribe

To determine whether such a subscription would be useful or no, you can search it first. All you'll get are the thumbnails and they will have a lot of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) gobbledy-gook in them, but also enough clear wording to give you an idea of whether that hit is going to be a probable.

Cheers,
Westoe

EDIT:
In searching those newspapers you'll find a lot of entries that are "George COMMA Barnett". Those refer to a vessel named GEORGE captained by a master named Barnett.