Author Topic: Gray Hawick Kirktown  (Read 1623 times)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gray Hawick Kirktown
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 23:24 BST (UK) »
With help from a few on rootschat I have managed to find baptismal records on Gray ancestors from Hawick born early 1800's.  I am hoping for help to go further back.

My 3x great grandparents Gilbert Gray and Margaret Riddle were married 12 Oct 1802 Edgerston.  This I know from family records.   They moved back and forth across the border and had 8 children.   They emigrated to Canada in the 1830's but may have had 3 of the 8 children die before they left Scotland.   I have deaths in Ontario, Canada for parents plus 5 of the offspring.

I have learned that in the Parish Church records at Hawick there are the following burial records

8 Aug 1806, Agnes Bleakie, spouse of Peter Grey
22 Dec 1810, Janet Grey, dau of Gilbert Gray.

Gilbert and Margaret had a daughter Jannet born June 15 1809 and she did not arrive in Canada.   

I believe Gilbert's parents are Peter Gray and Agnes Aitkin/Bleakie.   This is my next step.  I would like to prove that I have the right parents.  This would also give me Gilbert's siblings, James, Janet and Walter. 

I also have names on a photo taken probably 1850's or 60's of a Walter and Jeannie Gray and also Bert and Aggie Gray.   I have no Walter in my tree so maybe another connection to Scotland.

Perhaps a long lost cousin will read this!!!

Thanks for any help.

Jan

Offline Brycemh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gray Hawick Kirktown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Jan,

Interessant!....from Toronto.

We don't have a direct connect BUT Gilbert,Margaret and D Caroline are buried in the same churchyard as my great grandparents...Andrew and Bessie Hunter...originally from Hawick as are some others in this burial ground.

Cheers,

Bryce Hunter