Author Topic: Two ladies for dating and aging, please! -- COMPLETED; THANK YOU!  (Read 1360 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two ladies for dating and aging, please! -- COMPLETED; THANK YOU!
« on: Monday 05 September 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Howdy!

I am hoping (on the basis of same studio used -- although I don't think it was at the same time, since not consecutive negative numbers, and a different sofa) that this pair are mother and daughter.   Do people agree with me that there is a physical resemblance between the two ladies?

The mother I have in mind was born in 1831.  She -- very inconsiderately, for my purposes -- had two daughters in consecutives years: 1860 and 1861.  >:(Of course, I will never be able to distinguish which of these two the photo could be -- assuming dating fits at all).  I thought the daughter looks pretty young -- possibly 14 to 16.  (Do others agree?)  This would then need a dating for the daughter photo of about 1874 to 1877 for it to be either of the pair I have in mind.

As always, I should be very grateful for any assistance anyone can give; and I thank you in advance. :-*
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Two ladies for dating and aging, please!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Here's the daughter:
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
First a bit about the photographer.He was at both of these studios from early 1870's to late 1880's however he didn't recieve the Royal Warrant until 1878 so that's the earliest this can be.
Both of these ladies are dressed in a late 1870's style & are unlikely to be any later than 1880.
The index numbers are only a couple of hundred apart which would indicate taken within a couple of weeks of each other.
The cardstock still has square corners which had been superceded mid 70's so I think these are pretty much as close to the Warrant issue of 1878 as you could get.
The girl I would suggest is around 16/17.
The woman looks around mid 30's possibly up to 40 but I doubt late 40's as she would have to be if she was born in 1831 but maybe she just looked younger than she was.
Very pretty pictures all the same.
jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
wow, Jim!  Thanks so much for all the hard work you've put into this -- and, once again, we have the good luck of a very tight date, which is very helpful.  I'm, as always, extremely grateful for your help. :-* :-* :-* 

Dating seems to fit the daughters very well.  Mum actually had her 16-years- younger sister living with the family (apparently, from censuses, throughout the marriage); so perhaps the older lady is this sister, rather than Mum.  (I must agree with you, she does seem to wearing rather well for late forties).   I'm glad you find them a handsome pair!  I thought them very stylish!

Thanks again, Jim.  It's so great, with your help, to be able to put even tentative names to faces in these old photographs some of us have.

CELTIC ANNIE