Author Topic: 1900 & 1910 Census  (Read 3541 times)

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1900 & 1910 Census
« on: Monday 05 September 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Could someone please tell me if one of the above census was distroyed by fire.

I have been trying to find my great uncle PERCY A. SHEARWOOD

In 1901 he married Sarah Elizabeth Smith in Chicago and in 1905 I found them returning from England  to New York on July 22 on the ship Campania. They were returning home to Chicago.  The next time I found any sign of him was on his Draft card that was filled out in Missouri.

I think I may have found them on the 1910 census somewhere in Missouri. Doing a free search on Ancestry for him I come up with :
Marcy A. Sherwood age 32 and then under the name in brackets is "Percy A. Sherwood"
Also listed in the record is Sarah age 27. Could someone please tell me if it says anything else for this couple to help prove I found the right guy?

If this is them then that must mean the 1900 census was distroyed?

Thanks for any help,
shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1900 & 1910 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
HI Sheag,

It was the 1890 Census that was destroyed by fire and only remnants remain.

This is 1910 Washington, Buchanan, Missouri

Marcy A Sherwood aged 32 years.  born Eng. Immigrated 1898. NA. Marriage 1 for 9 years. Wool Grader. Wool House.
Sarah Sherwood   aged 27 years. born England. Marriage 2 for 9 years. Immigrated 1885.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra,
For Sarah- "Marriage 2" does this mean this was her second marriage?

Any chance you could find them on the 1900 census seeing that wasn't the census that was distroyed?

shearg
Lincolnshire: Shearwood, Dudding, Westoby, Brocklesby, Mann, Sanderson, Smith, Marris,Borrill, Bristow, Brown, Clark, Dunwell, Leverton, Sergeant, Naylor, Schofield,

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
HI Sheag,

Yes, that is what it means.  Elusive in 1900 so far - could be mistranscribed again  ??? He should be in Chicago according to the passenger list in 1905.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
I just did a quick search for 1900. There is a TRACY H. SHERWOOD in Fairfield Ohio and below id Percy. Could that be him?

shearg

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
HI Sheag,

No sorry, that is a female, born in Ohio in Oct 1879. It even looks like Tracy on the image so I have no idea why someone has altered it to Percy.

Sandra

Offline shearg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Sandra,

I hope you don't mind me asking and I know I'm grabbing at straws here but I found a "PIERCY SHENROAD" living at Jefferson Illinois and wondered if he could possibily be my Percy.

If not I quess I will just give up locating him for now.

shearg

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
The 1900 Census (including images) is available for free on www.familysearch.org, so you could take a look at it yourself.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shearg,

Sorry, the age was way out on that one. Like you I have tried so many combinations of the surname, going round in circles now  ??? - can't find Herbert Bristow Shearwood either in 1900 (the brother Percy was going to in Chicago in 1898)  ???
Still looking.

Sandra