Author Topic: Who lived in my house either known as The Mount or Mound Caterham on the Hill  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Briggo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in my house either known as The Mount or Mound Caterham on the Hill
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 November 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Further to the discussion about whether The Mound was a naturist colony in the 1930’s. When my father purchased The Mound in 1950, there was an elderly sitting tenant living in the stable block. Miss Thick had lived in the property for more than 20 years. According to my father’s notes, she did not approve of The Mound’s period as a nudist colony.

Offline chocky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in my house either known as The Mount or Mound Caterham on the Hill
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 November 20 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Briggo I shall add that to my information about the Mound, I sent you my email address did you get that or shall I try again?

Offline MissVee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hello from Cologne! I am sitting in my kitchen with a pile of old photos my father gave me a few days ago. Moreover, the box contains postcards, written to my granmother, who lived and worked in „The Maund“ from 1912 on. I have no idea, when she left. One postcard is written to my granny c/o Mrs. Sonksen, probably her employer... I have a photo of my grandma in the garden of the Maund as a housemate. I am new here, as I found your inquiry online doing some research. Don‘t know yet how to upload pics... Would be pleased to hear back from you... Best, Miss Vee

Offline busybee60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 January 24 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I stumbled on this website while trying to find out exactly where my mother lived as a baby/toddler. She knows it was with her parents and grandparents in Caterham. This was during the late 1930s (possibly 40s - I do not know exactly when the family vacated the house, perhaps during the wartime evacuation of children).
She will shortly be returning from abroad to live in sheltered accommodation nearby and would love to retrace her roots...she happened to give me her birth certificate for safe keeping and I saw that her birth was registered to this address: "The Mount, Whitehill, Caterham, U.D." I have been googling - Google maps does not mention "The Mount" as being on "Whitehill, Caterham". Then I found you all talking about what appears as though it might be her former home. 

Is this the same house you are all talking about here? In which case I might have some interesting info on the "missing years" as there is a link in her family with civil engineering and the building of the Indian railways, also mentioned in a previous reply about an even earlier inhabitant.

I would be so grateful for any clues as to whether this is my mother's babyhood home.

Thank you all :)