Author Topic: Completed with thanks.New Desktop PC-In a Panic- need help please.  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Desktop PC-In a Panic- need help please.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
You can leave Office 2010 if you like or you can simply uninstall it. If you don't want 2010 then just remove it. 2007 will install ok.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth I think you would be best served if you back up your files, then return the machine to its factory default condition and start over. You will lose what you haven't save, but at least you'll start out again with a clean machine.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger, thanks for the post.

As I only got the PC on Saturday, I hadn't got around to trying to transfer any files/personal stuff etc.

I had just started installing a few programmes on Monday afternoon so when I carried out a System Restore yesterday teatime, I took it back to Monday Lunchtime. It seems to have done the trick and got rid of the problem prog installation so I'm back to a fresh start again.

I've come back to Rootschat with a new post requesting advice on transferring info from my Backup External Hard Drive to the new PC Windows 7.

see my:            http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,554014.0.html

Thanks for your advice

Cheers

barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Barbara, Even though you have done a system restore your machine will have traces of your past work. The only way to really start over is to return the machine to the factory default condition. You have no data to lose so why not do it? Looking at your other post now.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Qttask.exe merely puts the Quick time icon in the bottom tray so you can open it more quickly than going via start/programs etc. Apple being Apple they do not make it it easy to disable it. Personally I would delete Quick time via Control Panel and add/delete programs. If you want to view something you can try Window's program. If you cannot live without Quick time in a week or two, you can download the 64-bit version from Apple.

I think it is a mistake to copy .EXEs from your old computer as they will all be 32-bit versions. If you want them back you should go to the website and download the 64-bit version. If they do not have one, then you cannot run your old version anyway, but at least you will not have to go through something like this again. Any programs you have on proper disks should be ok. They will check you have a compatible operating system, and tell you if it can be loaded or not.

Ken

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger, thanks for that.

All seems to be well now so I'm going to continue in the current state and hope for the best.

If things don't work out  then I may have to take it back to factory level but so far, so good, so I've decided not to tempt fate.

It's kind of you to take an interest.

Thanks for your help & advice.

barbara.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thanks for your comments.

Are EXE's  programmes which have been downloaded instead of installing from Disc?

Forgive the probably daft question but I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.

The only programmes I intend installing at the moment are those I have discs for.

The restore I did yesterday has uninstalled 'Quick Time from my PC so hopefully it will be o.k now.

It installed from an older Olympus Camera Programme CD, which I think caused the problem - the restore uninstalled it.

Thanks for your interest

Barbara.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Barbara, The thing to do is to ensure you have plenty of backups. In this connection take a look at Sugarsync on the web. It enables you to sync your files up to 2gb total on line.

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger, many thanks for the tip - I'll look that up.

I do try to ensure that I do backups at the end of every month, one to my External Hard Drive and another to an 8GB flash drive ( Just in case something goes wrong on one or the other!).

much appreciated.

cheers

barbara.