Author Topic: Completed with thanks.New Desktop PC-In a Panic- need help please.  (Read 6321 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Desktop PC-In a Panic- need help please.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 September 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Are EXE's  programmes which have been downloaded instead of installing from Disc?

Hi Barbara

Yes a '.exe' is an executable file, ie program. If you are trying to run .exe's that you had on your old OS they may not work. Installation disks are also a collection of .exe's but they will have a front end that (among other things) check you have the correct OS for the .exe.

As you now have a 64-bit system it would be better to look for 64-bit versions online for the free ones at least, and download them. Office should not be a problem as Microsoft will have ensured it works under 32-bit and 64-bit.

I have had a look at the Apple site and they say that Quick Time 7.7 for Windows is the latest version. It does not actually mention 64-bit and there appears to be quite a few problems with it and 64-bit Windows. An example - http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1016850-quicktime-77-for-windows/

Personally I would use Microsoft's player while you investigate further.

Ken

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 September 11 11:38 BST (UK) »

... and it is not just ".exe" files which are "executable programs/files".
There are "numerous" others.
Other examples include, and are not limitted to, .scr .dll .com .tmp .bat .........

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Barbara, Personally I think that monthly backup is far too infrequent. My Legacy7 files are backed up after use everytime; if I have made no alterations I override the backup, and in addition to my other backups the really current stuff is sent to Sugar Sync in real time.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 September 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

km1971

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that Ken,I'm playing safe at the moment, the only progs I've installed in the last couple of days are purchased ones - the Product Key for Word 10 and the CD of Nero multimedia suite.
I'm quite happy with them & Microsoft's player.

Cheers

Barbara.
-----------------
Ray

Thanks to you for pointing out the numerous other files to watch out for, I need all the tips I can get.

The last week there have been times when I've wondered why I'm bothering with computers at all - then I remember that I couldn't do all the Family History Research without it, so that answers that !!

I appreciate the help .

Thanks again.
----------------
Redroger

On reflection I think you're quite right about a monthly backup not being enough.
I think I'll have to leave the External Hard Drive attached to PC and use Nero's Backup facility to back up to it every time. (Got to figure out how to do it first !!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers all

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Barbara, That's why I went in for a free syncing program to a "cloud".
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 September 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Good thinking, Batman.

Cheers

Barbara.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 September 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Goes with the territory 8)

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 September 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha,

;D

Barbara.