Author Topic: George and Smith families Great Yarmouth  (Read 3241 times)

Offline milladrome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George and Smith families Great Yarmouth
« on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to trace my nan's side of the family but have been given extremely little information so I'm really struggling. I can't find any information at all on her grandparents, but they both lived in Great Yarmouth.

Her father was James William Smith (1904 - 1967). My nan has told me her grandmother was Julie (I believe her dates are roughly 1872 - 1954) and he had sisters Alice, Lily and May. However, the only thing I'm absolutely sure of is James and his dates. I've searched the 1911 census and can't find anything that fits. I do believe at some point in life Julie lived on Row 8 in Great Yarmouth.

Her mother was Annie Elizabeth George (1907 - 1984). She had a brother Arthur who died in WWI, a sister Alice and a brother Roney (a nickname I think). But I just can't find anything concrete, no census records of either families to give me a clue to continue this line. Can anyone help?

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George and Smith families Great Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
I think it might be easier for you if you go back step by step.

Find all you can about your nan's parents before you skip a generation. Find their marriage certificate and then their parents' birth certificates.

Perhaps you've already done this, but the way I read this, you've missed out a generation.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
From freebmd births registered

James William Smith q/e Dec 1904 Yarmouth volume 4b page 16

Annie Elizabeth George q/e Jun 1907 Yarmouth volume 4b page 19

At least getting their birth certificates gives you their father's name  and mother's maiden name so you can go back intime.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline babyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Milladrome,

The only sure way to know that you are following the correct family is to buy the birth certificates of both Annie & James.

Here are a few possible??? matches for the Smith line of your family.

Going by your info and making the assumptions that your Julie Smith didn't remarry, remained in Yarmouth until her death and was born Julia, known as Julie, there is a death for a Julia C Smith in Yarmouth in 1957 (born c1873)

There is this marriage:

Julia Catherine Smith
James Manthorpe Smith
Sept Q 1896
Yarmouth 4b 24

see marriage certificate :

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11667-25214-2?cc=1416598&wc=662017

There is also this baptism:

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11560-6049-76?cc=1416598&wc=661495

You may also find this link handy for future Norfolk research:

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11560-6049-76?cc=1416598&wc=661495#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fcollection%2F1416598%2Fwaypoints

Chris

Offline milladrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Yep I think I need to get the certificates to pursue this properly (though it can be rather costly to keep buying certificates which is why I haven't yet.)

I'm thinking that could be the right family for James, when I've looked around online at possible matches I've seen that one before but I'll verify it, hopefully!

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

Offline Bonniest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I see your post is from some time ago so you may well have solved your queries by now!
Annie Elizabeth George is the sister of my grandfather Henry Fredrick George.
His daughter, Sylvia, ( my mum) will be 90 soon.
I have traced and spoken to three of Annie's daughters and have a couple of photos.
You were correct about Roney, his actual name was Fredrick George  1909 -1975.
Also, Arthur John George who was killed in WW2 and is buried in Belgium. I have recently received his unclaimed war medals on behalf of my mum.
I have been unable to trace another sister Hilda George b 1910- I don't suppose you have any information on her?
Please let me know if you would like any other info I have.
Thanks

Offline milladrome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

It’s been quite a number of years since I posted this and sadly I never really got a chance to dig much further into it all but I do appreciate your reply! It’s great to hear from you and really nice to know the answers to a few of our burning questions.

Which of Annie’s daughters have you spoken to? Since I posted this we have unfortunately lost my nan (Annie’s daughter June) so there aren’t many of the sisters surviving now.

Thank you for clarifying about Arthur, I’d always been told it was WWI I needed to be searching for him so it explains why I couldn’t find anything. It’s a shame I didn’t as my nan would have loved to know about his medals and where he was buried.

I unfortunately do not know anything about Hilda. My nan previously mentioned that she had an aunt Alice from her mother’s side but I never got far enough in my research to find anything out about her so my knowledge is quite limited.

Best wishes to you and thank you for your reply after all this time!

Offline Bonniest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 November 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thank you so much for your reply...... I wasn't holding out much hope!

There is a1911 census Henry James George 1878-1927 GY, living with his wife Alice (nee Spencer),1846- 1914 living with their children - including Annie, at no.16 Row22 which I believe was on the corner of the Conge, Market Place end.
One of the children is Alice Sarah George(1904-1983) which would be the Aunt Alice you mentioned.

I have an image of Henry James George and his military record which has thrown up a couple of mysteries in itself.
Also, the parents of Alice- William Watts Spencer and Sarah( nee Steward)  seem to have a colourful history including bigamy and running away to Australia!

It was said to discover the fate of Arthur John George particularly as I have been told that he told his mother when he left for war that he knew he would never return.

So, Annie had 7 siblings for which I have information on except for Hilda, she literally disappeared!
Following some nifty detective work and good luck I have met with Thelma Mather( living
In Halvergate, Katie Smith(Ewles) and Pauline Smith both living in Great Yarmouth.

Would be more than happy to share anything else I have with you
Best Wishes