Author Topic: Census: Higginson COMPLETED  (Read 24737 times)

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census: Higginson
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 10 September 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladyhawk,
Your suggestion of Walter Hill doesnt work as she would be too young and is accounted for in the 1901 census recorded as Elice Newton.

Another possibilty is :

Alice Higginson marrying Harry Bennett DecQ 1909 Bakewell dist. vol 7b pg 1607.
And
There is an Alice M Bennett who dies MarQ1911 Burton Dist. aged 21 vol 6b pg 242

Only a guess.
Plus one more possible child to Edmund and Kesiah:
Monica Higginson SeptQ 1909 Bakewell vol 7b pg 1719 mother Brewer.

How come some get to be Higginson and some get to be Newton? Perhaps it is who gets to fill in the details.
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 10 September 11 15:47 BST (UK) »

Your suggestion of Walter Hill doesnt work accounted for in the 1901 census recorded as Elice Newton.

How come some get to be Higginson and some get to be Newton? Perhaps it is who gets to fill in the details.

Good afternoon everyone  :)

Ah yes - missed that she was on 1901 census with her Page grandparents ::)

Wish I new the answer as to why some have Higginson surname & some have Newton - a real puzzle we may never know ???

I hope you don't mind as there are so many pages & it’s making my head dizzy going back & forth to check on all the info. I’ve put together this using some of the details posted by yourself, Shilo & Woody32 - apoloigies in advance if I made any errors or left anything out   ::)

Edmund Higginson ch. 18/10/1868 Hathersage Derby f Thomas m Mary

Edmund Higinson married 27/12/1891 Glossop Derby Isabella Page  she died 1896  Hayfield Derby

Isabella Page
23 May 1868 Parish Holy Trinity, Lyonsdown, Hertford f. Frederick m. Sarah

1911c Edmund Newton 42
1901c Edward Higginson 32 Hathersage (widow)
1891c Edmund Newton 22 Hathersage
1881c Edmund Newton 12 Hathersage f. Thomas Newton m. Mary
1871c Edmund Higginson 2 Hathersage f. Thomas Higginson m. Mary

See reply no's 24,25 & 26 from quirk_cantwell re Higginson/Newton name connection

Children of Edmund Higginson (Newton) & Isabella Page

Mary Alice Newton b15.4.1892 ch 22/5/1892 Hayfield (her birth reg. as Mary Alice Higginson )
1901 Alice Newton 8 (1893) Hayfield granddua. Frederick & Sarah Page (Alice still living with g/parents 1911) there’s also an Ernest Newton b1890 don’t know what the relationship is between him and Alice – possibly cousins  ???

Elizabeth Higginson Dec 1893 Hayfield
1901 Elizabeth Newton (1894) Hayfield
living with Edmund’s brother Joseph Higginson
1911 with parent's siblings
Possible marriage Sep qtr. 1917 Glossop James Thomson

Mabel Higginson ch 1/12/1895 Hayfield died 29/10/1938 Australia
married 13/2/1937 Redfern NSW Vincent Joseph Bouquet
1901 Mabel Newton [/b]age 5 Hayfield (Child to nurse)
1911 with parents & siblings

Isabella Higgenson (Newton) age 26 buried on the 28 Jan 1896 Hayfield Derby

Edmund remarries Kezia Brewer 1901

Edmund Higgison Newton father Thomas
married 30/6/1901 Glossop Keziah Brewer (1877) father Charles

Children Edmund & Kezia

Nelson Higgison bn 24/5/1902 ch 6/7/1902 Hayfield

Colin Higginson bn 1903 married 1934

Joseph Newton Higginson 25/11/1909 Glossop died 1982 Cheshire married 1935
all living with parents 1911

Edmund Higginson Probate 30 Oct 1931 Death 11 Oct 1931 died in Derbyshire he leaves 452 pounds Keiza Higginson widow

one more possible child to Edmund and Kesiah:

Monica Higginson born 1912 Bakewell mmn Brewer She could well be Edmund & Kezia’s daughter you would need to obtain details from her birth certificate to be sure
Sep qtr. 1912 Glossop vol 7b page 1719

Monica didn't marry death 1991 Mansfield Derby born 13/10/1913

seems finding the exact date that Mabel Higginson or Newton born 1895 Hayfield Derbyshire to Edmund Higginson (Newton) & Isabella Page arrived in Australia has not yet  been confirmed other than this possibility
Miss M Higginson on the Ormuz ship. Left London 1/1/1921. Arrived Sydney 16/12/1921 although
FindMyPast gives her year of birth 1886 M Higginson dept. 1921 London Dest. Australia Sydney  - so not an exact match for dob your Mabel born 1895 ???

The search continues on........

Alice Higginson marrying Harry Bennett DecQ 1909 Bakewell dist. vol 7b pg 1607

Alice Newton b1892 still with grandparents 1911  ???

Harry mar. Fanny Redfern

only three names on the page 1607 vol 7b
Did a search Dec 1909 - Dec 1909 Bakewell
Frank Cyril Hill name came up with vol 7b 1 gap 07  
checked original the pg. no is 1607 so a match for Alice Higginson

they are together Bakewell Alice Hill born 1892
Frank born 27/2/1886 c 24/3/1886 Tideswell Derby f. Hedley m. Mary Catherine

It's really spooky as I was travelling back through Derbyshire last weekend, the place names on the censuses etc. are very familar if only your post had been a week or so earlier I could have taken some pictures  :(
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 10 September 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Mammoth effort Ladyhawk  :)

A job that needed to be done. It really was getting confusing. Well done, I am most grateful for the effort and time that everyone has put into this post. It has been a very interesting journey and no doubt will help a lot of people.
Much appreciation. Time to raise the flag

COMPLETED
Full,Leer,Fisher,Ashton,Brown,Dooley,Northeast,Tuff Golding, Ryan Donohue,Page,Quirk,McGrath,Cantwell,Swan,Mann,Hoare,Burge,Bayliss,Westbury.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census: Higginson COMPLETED
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 11 September 11 08:21 BST (UK) »

A job that needed to be done. It really was getting confusing. Well done, I am most grateful for the effort and time that everyone has put into this post.

It has been a very interesting journey and no doubt will help a lot of people.

You are very welcome - please let us know if you discover anything about the change in the Higginson/Newton name and if you discover exactly when Mabel came to Australia  :)

Good luck  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quirk_cantwell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 11 September 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
No worries,
Many thanks again! 
Cheers
Shauna  :)

Ps: Regarding the surname switch. I had a relative who was also baseborn but at least he had censuses in one name and registrations in the other. There appears to be no pattern with this family. I think it may have been dependent on who filled in the form and whether they were literate.   ???  Maybe someone else reading this post will have some answers?

PPS: Mabel was about 17 when she came to Australia so I was told. Don't know if this is heresay or not.

Offline AJN020262

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 25 January 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am fascinated to have found this thread on the site. I am descended from Edmunds brother Thomas Francis Higginson, born in Hathersage in 1852 & died in Sheffield in 1898. I may be bale to help clear up the whole Newton/Higginson issue!! It all dates back to Edmund & Thomas's father, Thomas Higginson (1819-1895) who was born the illegitimate son of Sarah Higginson in March 1819 at Brough, near Hope, Derbyshire. Sarah married in August of 1819 to one John Newton & they proceeded to have a family of legitimate offspring.
Thomas Higginson subsequently married a Mary Hobson, but throughout his life varied between Newton & Higginson. Try looking for him as Thomas Newton & then Thomas Higginson & you will see what I mean!!
My Gt Grandfather was born Arnold Higginson, at Ecclesfield, nr Sheffield in 1881. On the 1881 & 1891 cenuses he is listed as Arnold Higginson, but by 1901 he is Arnold Newton & he is named Arnold Newton on his wedding & death certificates!! My Dad knew him well & he never ansered to Higginson in his life!! Confusing isn't it!!
Hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion.
Regards,
Andy (Newton not Higginson!!).
Hello Ladyhawk,
Your suggestion of Walter Hill doesnt work as she would be too young and is accounted for in the 1901 census recorded as Elice Newton.

Another possibilty is :

Alice Higginson marrying Harry Bennett DecQ 1909 Bakewell dist. vol 7b pg 1607.
And
There is an Alice M Bennett who dies MarQ1911 Burton Dist. aged 21 vol 6b pg 242

Only a guess.
Plus one more possible child to Edmund and Kesiah:

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Andy..you may not have noticed that there has been no action on this Thread for eighteen months, which means it is less likely that the original participants will read you interesting addition.
They may however still be around, and i suggest you send a PM ( including your email addy)..a notification of this will appear on their email inbox.....if they're still around1

Good luck.

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....