Author Topic: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.  (Read 24330 times)

Offline St Bernard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TAYLOR family; Montreal, Canada.
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Your PM inbox appears to be full. I was referring to Alfred Basil Brailsford Woodburn who was awarded the MC.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Alpinemac needs to have at least 2 posts in order to access the PM (private message) system (RootsChat policy). A post to simply say "Hi" should suffice.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alpinemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 13 August 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Indeed, thank you Polarbear. I have emailed the link to my uncle who has a better grasp on our shared history and may even post. You are right, my namesake is the son of Alfred I believe, apologies, a long day at a new job in a new sector. Turns out he has visited that side of the family in the last few weeks.

Edit: A little nugget from my childhood. I was told that Great Uncle Alfred, hmmmm, great great uncle I suppose, would say that when he was in Burma the Gurkhas would take in a new British officer and teach him the basics from how to tie his bootlaces to the more complex skills of infantry warfare in the junkle. Important because when reconnoitring a Japanese camp they would approach the sentries crawling slowly, feel the laces of his boots and if they weren't tied a specific way they would use their Khukuri. Handy way to rid yourself of a problematic officer I would imagine.