Author Topic: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone  (Read 14896 times)

KarenEssex

Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone
« on: Wednesday 02 August 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Seeking any researchers that are a direct descendant from the above guy. He was b Abt 1895. Lewis D R Huggard.

His father was Richard Huggard b1863 in Dublin.

I have looked at the census in 1901 and they were all living in Yorkshire England. Lewis Huggard served in 1916 in 13th (something)  yorkshire regiment, Egypt.

I have found a little something special in my attic that belongs to him, and would love it to go to his descendants.
The attic is in Suffolk, so not sure how it ended up there.

Thanks
Karen

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hiya Karen,

Do you know anything about any of the previous owners of your house ??? Would any of them have been related to the Huggard family? Could the item have been given to them and they forgot to take it when they moved?

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 05:52 BST (UK) »
Here is the details of Lewis Huggard war service/death

Lewis Dudley Richard HUGGARD, Captain, 13th Bn York and Lancaster Regiment
Died 26/06/1917  age 23
Son of the Rev. Richard Huggard and Frances Marion Huggard, of St. John's Vicarage, Barnsley. Born at Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.
Buried Albuera Cemetery, Bailleul-sire-Berthoult

I will check for earlier references in Dublin and post if anything found.

The BT online lists no Huggard in Barnsley, but of course they may be
some that are ex-directory.

Mike.

Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

KarenEssex

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have researched who has lived there since 1950, the deeds do not go back further unfortunately. No indication of the name Huggard.

The previous owner was elderly and died 15 years ago. The house has remained empty since that time.

It could be someone that served with him in that particular regiment, and when he died in action passed this on to a friend.

It isnt a valuable item! just something that is nice for people researching the family as a keepsake.

The inscription is dated 1916 from his father, seeing as Lewis died a year later, it looks like he couldnt have married so didnt have a descending line.

Looks like it may be well worth pursuing any of his brothers and sisters.

Irene Huggard, Anna Huggard, Annette Huggard, Onagh Huggard and any of their descendants.

I have looked on GenesReunited and none of these names appear. Such a shame. I was hoping someone was researching the family.

Think I will cross post in Yorkshire later today. In 1901 they were living in Churwell Yorkshire.

Karen

KarenEssex

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 10:56 BST (UK) »

Hi father Rev. Richard Huggard MBE MA was secretary of Barnsley Rugby Club. He also referreed a match between England and Ireland in 1903.

Futher information reveals that he was appointed to All Sainst church in Hitcham Suffolk in 1926.

So there is the Suffolk connection!
The previous owner of the house his father was a Reverend as well in Suffolk.

So it looks like my previous owners father acquired it, maybe it was left behind when REV Richard Huggard moved to Kent.

So definately no connection to family, so would still like to give it to the rightful owners.

Karen

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kareen you probably already read this site but it gives you all the details of the 2 sons who died in the war

http://barnsleyrufc.co.uk/Info.htm

go down the page a bit and it show a photo of the Rev Huggard and then goes on to tell about his life.

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

KarenEssex

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes I saw that site this morning.

Was hoping it would lead to someone that was around today.

You wouldthink with an interesting ancester such as the rev Richard Huggard someone would be doing it somewhere ???

Karen

Offline elizmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I realise it is some time since the original post in this thread, but I thought I would give it a go.  I am researching the Reverend Richard Huggard for a friend of mine - she is a direct descendant of his.  I could act as a go between for her if you still had the objects you found. 

Richard Huggard lost two of his sons in the First World War.  He was a minister in Ireland before he moved with his family to England, and I have found some newspaper articles which record how well liked he was by his parishioners. 

Even if you no longer have the object you found, I am sure my friend would appreciate a description of what it was.

Thanks

Liz

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Unfortunately Karen hasn't been online since 2007 but I'll try sending her a PM (personal message) to look at this thread again and hope she get it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!