Author Topic: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone  (Read 14895 times)

Offline alfoxton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 November 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Seeking any researchers that are a direct descendant from the above guy. He was b Abt 1895. Lewis D R Huggard.

His father was Richard Huggard b1863 in Dublin.

I have looked at the census in 1901 and they were all living in Yorkshire England. Lewis Huggard served in 1916 in 13th (something)  yorkshire regiment, Egypt.

I have found a little something special in my attic that belongs to him, and would love it to go to his descendants.
The attic is in Suffolk, so not sure how it ended up there.

Thanks
Karen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 November 11 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, alfoxton. You've only posted a quote from the original post on this thread but if you wish to post your own reply just click on the 'reply' button, type your own message in the box and then press the 'post' button.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alfoxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 November 11 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Karen,
I have just, by chance, seen the correspondence re my Uncle Lewis! I was looking for details of his burial site for a grandson who is visiting the battlefields next year.  Serendipity.
I am the daughter of Rev Richard Huggard's 7th child - Annette Sandwith.
Of course any family information is precious and I would dearly love to know of the item belonging to Lewis found at Hitcham Rectory in Suffolk. Both I and my brother Nicholas were born there.
Equally exciting was to see messages posted by my cousin Frances  We had lost touch with her and the rest of her family and would love to hear from them.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Wendy

Offline Richard Essberger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Karen,

My grandfather, the Rev Sydney Bicheno Smith, was chaplain to the 13th York and Lancaster Regiment, 1st Barnsley Pals, joining them sometime in or before September 1915, went to Egypt with the battalion and then to France. He was definitely with them on 16 April 1916 as we have a letter from Sydney to the officers and men of both 13th and 14th Battalions, inviting them to an Easter service in the field. I believe he must have been posted out of the battalion in May or June 1916, as I believe the Rev Kenneth Best became its chaplain around about them, and before the Somme offensive began.

Do you, or anyone, know anything more about the padres who served with the two Barnsley Pals battalions? Dates, names, etc. To who, and when, did the Rev Huggard hand over that appointment?

Sydney had enlisted in October 1914 as a private 1914 in the RAMC, despite being an Anglican curate and about to marry, but by mid 1915 the authorities prevailed on him to become a padre in the Army Chaplains Department. In 1917 he resigned his chaplaincy and gained a commission in the RGA, and in September 1918 he was back in France in a heavy battery, a month later being severely wounded returning from his OP at Cambrai, and on 1 December 1918 he died at the military hospital in Dulwich, and was buried with full military honours from the church where he had been curate.

Anything that might point us to more information about his military service would be valuable...

Yours

Richard Essberger

Offline songsofjoyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found this post re: Lewis Huggard. My 9 year old is doing a project on WW1 for school and just found out from my mum that she her dad Rev Cormac LLoyd from Dublin was a first cousin of the Lewis and Hewitt Huggard who both died in the great war. Would love to hear from anyone out there of any news or photos etc from the family

best wishes from the Irish cousins!
Darina LLoyd Gallagher

Offline alfoxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone.
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 February 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found this post re: Lewis Huggard. My 9 year old is doing a project on WW1 for school and just found out from my mum that she her dad Rev Cormac LLoyd from Dublin was a first cousin of the Lewis and Hewitt Huggard who both died in the great war. Would love to hear from anyone out there of any news or photos etc from the family

Darina LLoyd Gallagher

Offline alfoxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Descendants of Lewis D R Huggard bTyrone.
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 February 15 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Darina LLoyd Gallagher

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 February 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »