Author Topic: Ive gone back to the old version of Ancestry  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Ive gone back to the old version of Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
I wholeheartedly support changes which are genuine improvements, and make use of the service or appliance easier and/or more efficient. All too often, this just does not happen.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 September 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
I also use the old version, if I use the new one I can;t even find people that I know are on the old one.  If I am looking for someone new on the new site I come up blank but go to old one and I have good luck.

Think they need to improve the new one so for now I will stick with the old one.

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hopefully they won't prempt the issue by removing the old site.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
I've always used the old version out of preference... but having let my sub go nearly a year ago I recently decided there was enough new data for me to give it a months sub.

I was pleasantly surprised by the extra info they give you when doing a search.   For example, look for a marriage on the LMA or BMD index and down the right hand corner they give you extras like finding this person in all the census and in several cases a death and electoral rolls in AUSTRALIA!  ;D  Ok, it also throws in a couple of bad apples but the majority is correct.  Talk about labour saving and I'm now managing to plug a few holes to the extent that I don't think the extra month is going to be enough.

My biggest beef with A*****try at the moment is that they keep trying to get me to do more data entry keying in.  I did it a couple of years ago but haven't done any for a while, now out of the blue in the middle of a search I get a huge pop-up taking me to the keying in pages.  >:(  I'm afraid that will just make me NOT do any more for them.  I think this only happens to members who have been transcribers/ key-loggers in the past
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
I have not done any work for Ancestry, however, in general I find these screens whether of that type or promoting a survey to be grossly intrusive.

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 September 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm so glad that someone pointed out that we can still use the old version of Ancestry. I had missed that. I really prefer the old version and hope it is not removed or updated again.
Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
I've just spent a very irritating time looking for a marriage - I have both names and the date and county - the only thing I don't know is the parish which is what I was hoping to find.  You'd think that it should be a simple case of it's there or it's not but I had to wade through 435 records to conclude that it's not on their data base.

I'd love to go back to the old search but the option disappeared from my home page months ago and I assumed that it had been removed altogether. Can someone tell me how to find it again, please?

Christine

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 01:06 BST (UK) »

I'd love to go back to the old search but the option disappeared from my home page months ago and I assumed that it had been removed altogether. Can someone tell me how to find it again, please?

Click on the Search tab.  At top right of the page should be a link to "Go to Old Search".
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 01:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that  :D

I never use the general search facility - just short cut to the specific census or whatever it is I want.  The old search option used to appear on those input pages too but not any more.

Now I know where it is lurking I'll be doing general searches from now on  ;D

Christine