Author Topic: Youdan Family of York  (Read 57079 times)

Offline Joffrey58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Youdan Family of York
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 January 07 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Di, sorry I can't help you on this one, maybe Jeff can, he has a lot more info on Youdans in this area than I do.

Jon
Bradshaw, Brennan, Youdan, Hurst, Shipston, Sheldon, Walton, Bunting, Worrall, Smith, Wright

Offline micky410

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 February 07 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, my family traces back to Kirk Sandall, Samuel Youdan born 1809 and his wife Mary Born 1803, next to Streetthorpe (where Tommy Youdan, owner of the Surrey and sponsor of the Youdan Cup, was born).

I have all my tree back to Samuel, but have hit a brick wall on the web. I may have to start visiting the archives.

I think Gareth over in Canada may be my cousin?

Mick
Youdan, Barker, Blackhurst, Hartley

Offline Joffrey58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 February 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Mick

Do you know if your Samuel had any brothers or sisters? I tentatively linked my Thomas Youdan as a brother.

Also, if you look at the earlier posts Jeff listed a lot of info on Youdans in Hatfield which is local to Streetthorpe. By looking on the LDS site I thought that the Samuel Youdan 1778  may be your Samuels father and his wife was Ann Hall 1780? There appears to be a matching baptism for your Samuel on the LDS site, Kirk Sandal 1808 with Parents Samuel and Anne? I think I then looked for the father Samuel on the LDS and it seemed to link to the Samuel 1778 on Jeffs links which then take you back a considearble way. I must admit these links are all a bit tenuous but with a name like Youdan there's got to be a link somewhere, its not exactly Smith is it! Would be nice if we could piece it all together. You need to dig around on the LDS site.

Jon
Bradshaw, Brennan, Youdan, Hurst, Shipston, Sheldon, Walton, Bunting, Worrall, Smith, Wright

Offline micky410

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 February 07 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I don't  know as yet if Samuel had any brothers or sisters - I had thought he was linked to Thomas as they were said to come from virtually the same place. I've been to Hatfiled, Edenthorpe (Streetthorpe as was) and Kirk sandall to get an idea of just how close they were. With regard to Tommy Youdan do you know if his daughter was actually his niece. I have found on the cenus for 1851 and 1861 the below results, I was woundering because there is a Harriet Youdan on the bible around her DOB. I'm off to check the site you mentioned.

Thanks very much!!!

Thomas YOUDAN 34 head YKS Doncaster 2339 93 Sheffield
Mary YOUDAN 33 wife YKS Rotherham 2339 93 Sheffield
Emily YOUDAN 17 niece  York 2339 93 Sheffield
Harriet YOUDAN 7 niece  York 2339 93 Sheffield
name age relation cty place piece folio parish view folio
Thomas YOUDAN 43 head YKS Thoresthorpe 3457 75 Ecclesfield
Harriette YOUDAN 18 daughter YKS  3457 75 Ecclesfield

Offline micky410

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 February 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I have checked this site previously and have seen the entries for Samuel Youden and Anne as the parents of Samuel born 5 DEC - do you think the entry for the marriage of Samuel and Hannah Hall in 1800 is the parents?

I think I am going to have to visit Doncaster and check the archives.....

Offline Joffrey58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick

Yes, I was working on the basis that Samuel and Anne or hannah hall were your samuels parents, thats what I have logged in my chart.

Harriet Youdan was Thomas's neice, the 61 census is wrong. I have Thomas's will and he leaves all to his niece Harriet. He was living in retirement in Scarborough at the time. Harriet married Frederick Stanton and they effectively retired very early so he must still have had a tidy sum. My grandmother said there was a story he was to leave his wealth to my ggg fathers wife (ANN YOUDAN) and children as long as they all were named Youdan as a middle name which they were (i.e. ROBERT YOUDAN BRENNAN my gg father) but it never happened. If you google Thomas there is a fair bit on the web, very interesting, particularly the Youdan Cup and the roots of football in Sheffield.

I hadn't noticed the bible entry for Harriet but you could well be right as I have linked harriet with a Henry and Wiliam matching the same dates of the 2 people listed next to her on the bible entry. I have possible parents (from LDS) as George and Mary and I thought George was your samuels brother. Gets a bit complicated really and some of it is guess work.  I havn't been to Doncaster, not got the time but its nice to know that somebody locally is looking at Youdans (I'm in Sheffield). Maybe and exchange of data might help? Not sure how we do that through Rootsweb without displaying emails,  do you know?

Best of luck, Jon

Offline micky410

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

I had thought Thomas had died in Scarborough - Harriet got married the year after, I noticed that on the bmd sites, but could not be 100%. Did you know there is a picture of Tommy Youdan on the Picture Sheffield website www.picturesheffield.co.uk go to search and use the bottom search bar.
I don't live near Doncaster I live up in Lancashire, I moved here from Sheffield about 8 years ago, I used to live off Ecclesall Road.
 I have sent you a personel mail with my email address on.

Cheers

Mick

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled across this thread and thought those with South Yorkshire links might be interested to know that George YOUDAN who appears to be the father of the York family listed in the bible may have been born in Street Thorpe (abt 4 miles from Doncaster) in abt. 1802.

I don't have any YOUDAN links myself I was just browsing.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fenella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 March 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Youdan family, I have a printed leaflet "Query: THE FALL OF TOMMY'S PROPERTY?"  Briefly concerning, according to the first page - "The incarceration of John Youdan in Wakefield Gaol, for having on the 25th August 1879, erased the words "Adopted Daughter," which were on his late Brother's Tombstone, (Thomas Youdan).  It seems Thomas paid tenshillings a week to his and John's sister, so she could pay her rent.  Thomas Youdan's niece discontinued this payment, in effect making the woman homeless.  The leaflet also mentions property left in a will, plus other information.
Is this of interest to any researchers?
Fenella