Author Topic: Youdan Family of York  (Read 57208 times)

Offline micky410

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Youdan Family of York
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Fenella I can't send you a personal mail as I think your personal mail is full
Youdan, Barker, Blackhurst, Hartley

Offline catGIRL

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 September 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
I have Martha YOUDAN 1751 M pETER Oughtibridge
daughter of joseph YOUDAN 1707 AND Martha Jackson
son of Thomas YOUDAN and Alice Shephard

is this joseph the same as Jeff's 1710, all from hatfield, yorkshire

Marie

Offline Lennymac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 June 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I wonder if any of you can help. My 3rd Great Grandfather was Thomas Youden he came to Newfoundland from England in about 1820, He was a seaman and he must have been an educated man as he later became a school master and also taught navigation, he was an artist and has two paintings in the museum of Newfoundland, he owned a pocket watch that was made in London and it has his name on the face that replace the numbers. We have his date of birth as 5th November 1790, his marriage certificate has his place of birth as Whitby,  however I have contacted several people in Whitby who should have been able to give me some info and they tell me that the name Youden is not known in that town and that it is not mentioned in any of their records.
Any help or sugestions would be very welcome.

Len

Offline ByronC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother's great,great,great, grandfather(?) was Thomas Youden from Brigus or Georgetown Newfoundland. I have a picture of the watch that Len mentioned. The numbers are actually replaced with the letters T H O M A S Y O U D E N. I am interested in learning more if anyone knows anything. I found this as well.

Thomas Youden arrived in Newfoundland in the early 1820's.  He seems to have settled in Brigus, Conception Bay, where he married Elizabeth Hiscock in 1824.  After Elizabeth died in 1845, he moved to Bull Cove where the people of the village gave him some land to build a house, and built a school where he taught their children until the 1860's.  He also taught navigation to the young men of the area.
Thomas was said to have spoken seven languages.  Oral history claims he was a prisoner of the French at Arras, France before he came to Newfoundland.  He was supposed to have cut through the bars using the mainspring of his watch to make his escape.  After coming to Newfoundland, he became a master mariner.  He was captain of the brig "Jane" which carried cargo, until 1845 when he became a teacher.  In his later years, he also painted pictures of ships, two of which are in a museum on Duckworth.St. in St. John's.

Offline smarchy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm very interested in this post George and Mary listed top of the list is my Step fathers Great, great, great Grandparents and George Youdan born March 23rd 1832
would be his great great grandfather. Elizabeth his daughter and her daughter Gertrude is My Step Fathers Grandmother.

Sarah, Would you still have the Bible?

Offline JYoudan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 20 June 13 06:21 BST (UK) »
So i was wondering if you are the cousin of Gareth that lives in canada

Because he is my uncle.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 January 14 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smarchy, must have missed your post in March..but Yes I still have the Bible.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alirat153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Youdans also, and hoping some of those earlier posters are still around. My grandfather was John Youdan Briggs and his father was also John Youdan Briggs.  Because of the family habit of using Youdan as a middle name, my mother (now 86) began researching this many years ago and we have assembled some info - but have raised more questions than were answered. My mother met another Youdan descendant and learned a lot of oral family history, including the fact there was an alleged fortune somewhere.  I cannot corroborate the verbal history that Sarah Youdan married Joseph Briggs (I have a marriage with the name Sarah Fletcher) but all the children had the middle name Youdan. It does appear that Sarah had a child called Harriet who lived with Samuel and Ann (presumably) Sarah's parents. Harriet (b.1926) appears in censuses as Harriet Briggs and the Harriet Youdan (1841 and 1851). She keeps the name Youdan and marries Robert Masey or Macey.
Lots of family secrets it seems. I'd love to see if anyone else has info - and would love to see the family bible the OP talks about.
Briggs (UK)
Youdan (UK)
Hutchison (NZ and Scotland)
Davey (NZ)
Daysh (NZ)
Andersen (UK)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I still have the bible, I have transcribed the writing on reply 10 for those who were interested.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk